Any one know what describes a truly dark world?

I having hard time to make a dark fantasy story based on a truly dark world filled with much stuff like u can guess demonic stuff, wars, cults and slavery and much more like old medieval times torture stuff and much more things , but what truly describes a dark world?

How i define something as dark fantasy is if the world feels realistic very much like our world but it also includes fantasy elements. It doesn't have to be pure edge lord stuff that everything is always bleak and hopeless and there's only suffering but it doesn't either shy away from showing in detail the very dark stuff that probably has happened in some shape or form in our history or is maybe still happening to this day, Just maybe a little exaggerated with fantasy elements involved.

How i define something as dark fantasy is if the world feels realistic very much like our world but it also includes fantasy elements. It doesn't have to be pure edge lord stuff that everything is always bleak and hopeless and there's only suffering but it doesn't either shy away from showing in detail the very dark stuff that probably has happened in some shape or form in our history or is maybe still happening to this day, Just maybe a little exaggerated with fantasy elements involved.
So basically I have create and show the realistic dark stuff which happened in real life with Fantasy element in it?

It sounds like you're getting hung up on trying to incorporate darkness into your world when you should really be focusing on either just building the world or envisioning the actual story to explore the themes you want to explore. Think of the history and politics of the world. That can have an effect on who's at war with who and consequently how they treat their people internally. Perhaps one country is paranoid of spies and is routinely rounding up anyone it suspects of espionage for questioning. Or maybe a nation is heavily taxing its citizens during a famine, leading to starvation, dissent, and riots. Or maybe one nation is losing badly and resorting to desperate measures to win its war. Then there are the characters whose stories you want to tell. The easiest way to bring these dark themes to the fore would be to center the story around people who will be knee-deep in them. A soldier, for instance, is going to be witnessing and partaking in a lot of fighting, killing, burning, and raping, an inquistor will commit a lot of torture, a priest could potentially have to exorcise demons, and so on. You don't, and shouldn't, force darkness into the work; if you can make just the right world or story, then it should be able to flow into it naturally.

Don't think of "dark fantasy" as genre. Think of it as a descriptor instead.

It sounds like you're getting hung up on trying to incorporate darkness into your world when you should really be focusing on either just building the world or envisioning the actual story to explore the themes you want to explore. Think of the history and politics of the world. That can have an effect on who's at war with who and consequently how they treat their people internally. Perhaps one country is paranoid of spies and is routinely rounding up anyone it suspects of espionage for questioning. Or maybe a nation is heavily taxing its citizens during a famine, leading to starvation, dissent, and riots. Or maybe one nation is losing badly and resorting to desperate measures to win its war. Then there are the characters whose stories you want to tell. The easiest way to bring these dark themes to the fore would be to center the story around people who will be knee-deep in them. A soldier, for instance, is going to be witnessing and partaking in a lot of fighting, killing, burning, and raping, an inquistor will commit a lot of torture, a priest could potentially have to exorcise demons, and so on. You don't, and shouldn't, force darkness into the work; if you can make just the right world or story, then it should be able to flow into it naturally.

Don't think of "dark fantasy" as genre. Think of it as a descriptor instead.
Oki got it owo I do trying to show that problems are going in th world , one side a war to claim something going on , on second side a type of infection spreading which making people mutate into disgusting and abnormal creatures , and on third side people suffering from bandits and necromancers attack on villages and small towns , basically world is liek our real world and I also showing much more stuff(not nudity or rape stuff tho coz it's 16+ manga) well I also trying to focus on people's life too not just life of the protagonist or antagonist . Well the first arc is going on and I am showing a chaotic world like how told above , people suffering, infection and war , after the first arc I will make it like kind of berserk like after first arc we got golden age arc where we got to see guts past and how the world become like that, same I can show it like that way how infection started to spread , what was the thing which the war was about and more maybe .

Bit late to the party, but here's my two cents nonetheless.

A truly dark world is represented by the so often quoted translation of the Divine Comedy about the gates of Hell (which were spectaculary rendered by Rodin in bronze), which read "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here."

What does this mean? Well,it means that you should not hold back too much in stacking the deck against the poor sods who live in said history. Wether it is the worst trait of mankind (and chimps), or the fears of the unknown and losing control over one's own life, there is a wide variety to choose from, moreso if you are adding fantasy elements.

However there is a point where you have to stop, because it can quickly fall in what the internet has coined sometimes as "grimderp". Basically, too much gratuitous dark elements for the sake of it. Roughly, you have to hold back enough for your story to feasibly sustain a somewhat sane human population during the course of your storytelling.

Hope that helps.

Oki got it owo, thanks , I do trying to make my manga dark but it do will have some moments like some funny moments like puck and scrieche from berserk have ,I aslo add some romantic tale a bit in between the story to make things but interesting too, like this I planned like 8-10 arcs now .

Top Bottom