Episode 373

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Episode 373 will be published in Young Animal #11, slated to be released on May 26.

DIGITAL STORE: Hakusensha-E (Price: 450円 / $3)
PHYSICAL COPY: Amazon Japan | CDJapan (Price: around $20 shipping included)

younganimal_next_59

This episode is part of the new serialization of Berserk that is being done without Kentarou Miura. It's based on some of the material he left behind as well as what he had told his close ones of the story over the years. Kouji Mori, his best friend and a fellow mangaka, writes and supervises the series while his former assistants draw it under the banner of Studio Gaga.

-----------------------------------------------------

Our forum policy prohibits the posting of full episode scans. Read more about our decision here. Instead, you are encouraged to purchase the digital edition of Young Animal.

First time buying a digital Young Animal magazine?

Read Aazealh's guide, or watch Walter's video tutorial.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: This magazine is only in Japanese? I can't read Japanese, so why should I buy it?
A:
I can't read Japanese either. But if you want to follow along with the latest Berserk releases, getting this magazine is the only legal way to do it. Berserk's episodes run in these magazines months or years before they are collected into a volume. You can read our summaries on the forum and wait for our English text-based translations of each episode, available in a week or so after release.

Q: What do I need to set up an account on Hakusensha-E?
A:
A valid email address, a Chrome browser (or another browser with a built-in Japanese language translation), and a credit card. PayPal is not accepted at this time. Follow Aazealh's guide to learn more in-depth information on setting up an account.

Q: Purchasing requires my bank to do extra stuff because it's an international purchase. What do I do?
A:
This happens to many first-time customers to shops outside your country of origin. It's your bank flagging a new kind of transaction from a new country. To ensure that this transaction is valid, you may be asked for more information to verify your identity and your bank account. Afterward, this is an automatic process. If you have further questions, you can read VISA's guide on how this process works, or contact your bank.

So we open with Serpico telling Isidro what Schierke is about to do. No meaningful exchange between them, just exposition. Then Schierke does it...again. Also, Magnifico and Roderick are there because...remember them? Even though Farnese is the only one who needs to watch her body. Then Kushan show up after more dumb Beast shenanigans. No internal monologue.

The dialogue is still incredibly stilted and bare bones. It looks like we're not getting any explanation as to why Ivalera and Puck are still here other than a "strangers to the island" line. Which still doesn't make sense for him or Isma and so on. Also, the witches from the island are "losing their powers" now because reasons.

What a content dense episode. And we're only 9 into the continuation. Truly the epitome of progress. When the plot and characters have barely moved an inch since getting on the boat, just in time for a cliffhanger.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'm at a loss for words at how bad this is. It reads like a bad fan fiction that serves no purpose except filling a void between two points. Given that none of this came from Miura, I'm seriously wondering whether there's a point in following the series episodically anymore.

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Did they do a redraw of Griffith jumping on Guts’ sword from the beginning of the Golden Age arc?

Wonder why they did that. Don’t think that has happened in the past few chapter. **edit** Didn’t notice he was hallucinating.

Also, that toe grab Griffith does on the Dragonslayer.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Did they do a redraw of Griffith jumping on Guts’ sword from the beginning of the Golden Age arc?

Wonder why they did that. Don’t think that has happened in the past few chapter. **edit** Didn’t notice he was hallucinating.

Also, that toe grab Griffith does on the Dragonslayer.

Simple case of showing people something they remember from the past. It's a form of lazy fan service. Completely useless though, and not something Miura would have done in my opinion.

Is anyone else concerned about Mori going the way of Guts using the Behelith? Although it's complete nonsense as he would only put himself at the mercy (well even more so) of Griffith by turning into an Apostle. Not to mention it goes against his character development of course. But... "That brand limits you, that body limits you." Blew.

Beyond that... We're still on Guts whining and even vomiting over his sword not being able to reach Griffith? (Which seems to me to be the purpose of the parallelism with the panel where Griffith does a mikiri counter, aside from, of course, cheap fanservice - he couldn't reach Griffith then, he can't now either). Good God Mori. You were lucky enough to be Miura's best friend but I don't know if you read Berserk even once.

So we open with Serpico telling Isidro what Schierke is about to do. No meaningful exchange between them, just exposition. Then Schierke does it...again. Also, Magnifico and Roderick are there because...remember them? Even though Farnese is the only one who needs to watch her body. Then Kushan show up after more dumb Beast shenanigans. No internal monologue.

The dialogue is still incredibly stilted and bare bones. It looks like we're not getting any explanation as to why Ivalera and Puck are still here other than a "strangers to the island" line. Which still doesn't make sense for him or Isma and so on. Also, the witches from the island are "losing their powers" now because reasons.

What a content dense episode. And we're only 9 into the continuation. Truly the epitome of progress. When the plot and characters have barely moved an inch since getting on the boat, just in time for a cliffhanger.
Yeah. We really going "we were lucky to be strangers to the island" by the way of explanation like Puck wasn't born and raised there.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah. We really going "we were lucky to be strangers to the island" by the way of explanation like Puck wasn't born and raised there.
Or the fact that Isma was likewise a stranger there. Or the fact that just before all the chaos happened on the island, Danan made a big deal about the island accepting them:

From 364:
Danan: The casting ritual to make you three become inhabitants of the island has been accomplished.
Danan: Above all else, everything here accepts you.
Schierke: We… Have been accepted…

Except he did. Right after that moment, he threw him down the hill and then punched him hard enough to draw blood. So it doesn't even work. :ganishka:

With his body, not his sword. Yes, it's still stupid. Never said it worked. All the scenes about "muh sword" don't work from the conceptual stage.I think Mori may have gotten that idea from the scene in Golden Age where Guts reflects on the lives he has touched with the tip of his sword (kekkekkek). And from there extrapolating too much as if Guts has a special relationship with his sword instead of, ehem, the struggle. Which doesn't bode well. But the same can be said for the rest of this fanfic so far.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, I believe you're overthinking it. The two-page spread of Griffith standing on his sword is fucking cool and very memorable, so they replicated it. I think that's really all there is to it. :sweatdrop: But I guess it really doesn't matter either way. *sigh*

• What was the point of having Serpico regurgitate to Isidro that Elfhelm is gone? Was it to show that Serpico and Isidro still exist? If anything, it would've been more interesting to show Serpico/Isidro discuss their perspective on current events. Or gee, I dunno, have Serpico tell Isidro "I'm sorry about Isma" considering her disappearance (Isidro seems unfazed by that). Been a long while since we saw Serpico speak his mind -- sort of a lost opportunity there.
  • The archmages from Elfhelm are shown just sitting around/watching Schierke perform her ritual -- couldn't they contribute in any way?
  • Roderick looks way too youthful. Really wish the team can vary their art style since there's a lot of sameface syndrome going on.
  • Where is Puck? Why isn't he at least attempting to find/uplift Guts? Everyone knows Guts is sulking alone -- can nobody attempt to help him? Would at least be a nice opportunity to show Puck trying to uplift him like back in the Black Swordsman arc.
  • Having Guts still sulk and lie around alone after these couple of chapters seems very redundant -- we get it, Guts currently feels powerless. But why draw him withering on the ground rather than showing him sit upright? Seems way too out of character.
  • A Kushan raid out of nowhere? Why would they be around Elfhelm? They wouldn't have followed Griffith & Zodd to such a remote area, would they?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Awful. Not much more to add.

By the way, did anyone else get instant dread the moment they realized that we'd switched back to Guts and company? Never a good sign that a story is going well.

I'm at a loss for words at how bad this is. It reads like a bad fan fiction that serves no purpose except filling a void between two points. Given that none of this came from Miura, I'm seriously wondering whether there's a point in following the series episodically anymore.

Agreed. They've just about broken every promise they made when they tried to sell us on the continuation. I know Mori and Studio Gaga are doing their best, but it's just not worth it. If I were them, I'd stop the continuation immediately, and never release Vol. 42. That way, we could all pretend this never happened. Alas...

Goat

Foolish king
Is anyone else concerned about Mori going the way of Guts using the Behelith? Although it's complete nonsense as he would only put himself at the mercy (well even more so) of Griffith by turning into an Apostle. Not to mention it goes against his character development of course. But... "That brand limits you, that body limits you." Blew.
Here I am, VERY CONCERNED about this. Everything is progressing so randomly that you can't tell if something like this is out of the table.
We are so deep in the creative liberty that I'm expecting Guts to open up his right eye and reveal the Byakugan he's been hiding for 200+ episodes.

Also the destruction of the spirit tree and the island did not had a particular effect on the party like i dont know Serpico, what about ISMA!

My god... this really is bad... this feels like the final season of game of thrones all over again.

Last edited:

BiQ_

" ... "
Okay... about the Kushans there. Are those supposed to be from whatever is left of Ganishka's empire? What are they actually about here? Having lost their dictator and then being overrun by fantasia demons means they are all scattered around and doing whatever they can to survive, including being pirates?
Or, since there's lack of bloodshed (at least on-screen)... maybe they're friendly helpers sent out by Silat and we're soon about to meet Rickert again? Maybe they just could not help brandishing their swords gleefully there, no worries? (Having Guts and Rickert together would actually be fine by me at this point though. I surely don't expect the plotlines to get that to happen to have any shred of elegance anymore.)
And yet further, there was a time I was under the impression that Roderick and his crew are actually competent at sea battles. Well, maybe they were just too preoccupied with everything going on that no one was left to guard the vicinity which allowed this surprise attack to happen? Okay...

Okay... about the Kushans there. Are those supposed to be from whatever is left of Ganishka's empire? What are they actually about here? Having lost their dictator and then being overrun by fantasia demons means they are all scattered around and doing whatever they can to survive, including being pirates?
Or, since there's lack of bloodshed (at least on-screen)... maybe they're friendly helpers sent out by Silat and we're soon about to meet Rickert again? Maybe they just could not help brandishing their swords gleefully there, no worries? (Having Guts and Rickert together would actually be fine by me at this point though. I surely don't expect the plotlines to get that to happen to have any shred of elegance anymore.)
And yet further, there was a time I was under the impression that Roderick and his crew are actually competent at sea battles. Well, maybe they were just too preoccupied with everything going on that no one was left to guard the vicinity which allowed this surprise attack to happen? Okay...
I'm pretty sure they are indeed going to follow the "Rickert" route, that's the only way for all this to make some kind of sense (barely).

And yes, I thought the same about Roderick being attacked completely by surprise... The crew should be on a constant watch after what happened before, there is no way a Kushan's ship went unnoticed.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure they are indeed going to follow the "Rickert" route, that's the only way for all this to make some kind of sense (barely).
I don’t think that’s a very good argument. Silat is the leader of the Bakiraka clan, not Kushans.

I really don’t think too much can be made from this group of (apparent) pirates. My guess is they are just an opportunistic group to fast-track our cast to the troubles of the mainland.

Roderick and his crew being caught completely off guard is an absolute embarrassment.

Maybe these Kushan are with the Bakiraka and Rickert and got some epic stealth gear/magic to sneak up on the entire Seahorse crew :troll: Or maybe the team just couldn’t be bothered to draw some more sensible astral creatures that could maybe more reasonably hide.

Oh boy, I know this will sound mean spirited, but I've been having fun at the sheer incompetence of Doofus Berk (you might know it as "Berserk continuation"). I feel like I'm a Buddhist monk who achieved enlightenment and is finally able to completely disassociate Berserk and Doofus Berk. I'm finally able to accept it for what it is: a glorified fanfic.

But, if more serious, they really did mess up the final page: they forgot to draw the urine puddle under Guts. So disappointing. :judo:

Definitely a less enjoyable episode than usual. They mostly all sit around the same level of disappointment and then lose points based on how many things either make no sense or contradict past events and characters. The "strangers to the island" one was really bad, as that whole event has been sticking out like a sore thumb. When they have the opportunity to address it and finally explain it, it just doesn't work.

Funny thing, back when the Big Berserk Exhibition was announced and we saw the image of Guts swinging his sword down and the inevitable confrontation between Guts and Griffith, I had actually imagined their "fight" would start with that sword swing leading into Griffith jumping on top like he did in this hallucination. Regardless of how good an idea that would have been, I think it would have worked better there.

Top Bottom