Games to look forward to!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's a huge month for tactical RPGs on the Switch!

Tactics Ogre Reborn, a remake of the game that basically created this whole genre, is out Nov 11. This is from the same team as Final Fantasy Tactics (FFT is effectively its sequel...). This one is also coming to PC.

And it's followed by Front Mission (1st) Remake on Nov 30. It's one of my favorite tactics games.

New trailer for Bloodborne II Lies of P:

This medieval zombie game, Blight: Survival, looks fun:

And of course, From Software's upcoming Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon:

Miyazaki said this will not follow his usual "souls" formula. I'm very curious on how it will turn out.

And of course, From Software's upcoming Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon:

Miyazaki said this will not follow his usual "souls" formula. I'm very curious on how it will turn out.
I’m not sure why I’m surprised that Miyazaki or anyone at From Software feels the need to say that Armored Core won’t be a “souls” game. I’ve never played an Armored Core game but I can discern that much.

I’m also curious if they will heavily change the series in some way though. As it seems like there hasn’t been a proper game from that series in awhile?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I’m also curious if they will heavily change the series in some way though. As it seems like there hasn’t been a proper game from that series in awhile?
Unless I'm mistaken, this will be the first time that budget wouldn't really be a factor for them in an AC game. Off the cuff, I expect it to play pretty much like the other AC games, but with a more expansive environment. But I believe Miyazaki has said that the focus/emphasis of this game is in big boss encounters. :shrug: I really enjoyed the first AC game, but I never really followed up on it, since its later games came out during my console dead zone years.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I’m not sure why I’m surprised that Miyazaki or anyone at From Software feels the need to say that Armored Core won’t be a “souls” game. I’ve never played an Armored Core game but I can discern that much.

Because every time From Soft is releasing a new game Miyazaki says it's different from his previous games and then it's exactly like a Souls game. =)

But I believe Miyazaki has said that the focus/emphasis of this game is in big boss encounters. :shrug:

See!! :troll:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

It was in answer to a specific question about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
At first I was like: big deal, it’s a fancy romhack of Mega Man X. Then around the 12m mark of the video you realize they’ve made an open world X game, with many of the little touches you’d expect from a more modern game to make that kind of world more manageable. The way it seamlessly goes from exploring the base to combat was way cooler than I was expecting.

The Index Finger

The Spatula of the Chef Hand
OPERATION: BLACK MESA
Tripwire Studios

If you've played Black Mesa (A Half-Life 1 Remake), it's basically an Op-For (Opposing Force) remake in an updated source engine. I've been following the news since 2004 at E3 (When Valve had plans to port it; later abandoned) and when the Operation Black Mesa team started pursuing their own remaster of the game, built from the ground up. Development began in September 2007.

Okay, I'm done talking all fancy for this one.

When I saw the Biodome footage, I thought that I was seeing an SFM. Of course, I was wrong and it was some minor gameplay footage. The concept art is even more outstanding because they have made separate variants for the scientists and they can wield firearms and defensive weapons (something that is usually scripted or using a separate NPC and pasting a model over). Overall, the quality of the gameplay that has been shown makes it look like an AAA game.

Last edited:
New gameplay for Resident Evil 4:

Wasn't expecting it to have stealth mechanics. Looking forward to it (not to fighting those nasty dogs though :ganishka:)

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
Is anyone here picking up Hogwarts Legacy? I’m gonna pick up the game on the release date, so I look forward to that. The reviews I’ve seen are pretty good too.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
At first I was like: big deal, it’s a fancy romhack of Mega Man X. Then around the 12m mark of the video you realize they’ve made an open world X game, with many of the little touches you’d expect from a more modern game to make that kind of world more manageable. The way it seamlessly goes from exploring the base to combat was way cooler than I was expecting.
I'm still having a hard time understanding that this is a fan game. I need to see the behind the scenes stuff for this game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom new trailer:
Pretty underwhelmed, so far. I mean sure I preordered it, of course. And I have faith they can pull this off. But I feel like Nintendo has done a pretty bad job of getting me excited about this game in every aspect other than just outright saying "it's the sequel to Breath of the Wild."

The ground and air vehicles look like component creations. There were quite a few shrine puzzles that allowed for a custom solution mentality. It feels like maybe the designers took that idea, and saw those YouTube videos of people making that minecart fly and concluded "hmm... let's just make that a function in the game!" Thing is though... as Aaz pointed out to me, what's wrong with a horse? Will a custom jalopy actually be cooler than a horse…?

Dark Emperor

I’m think of picking up Atomic Heart once I’m finished with Hogwarts Legacy and the Metroid Prime remaster. I wanted to pick it up early, but I need to finish these games first before I move on to it.

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
Star wars: Jedi Survivor releases soon, I'm gonna try and replay the first game to refresh my memory, I'm glad we're gonna be able to actually slice through people and not just have our attacks bounce off them like a ball.

Griffith

Star wars: Jedi Survivor releases soon, I'm gonna try and replay the first game to refresh my memory, I'm glad we're gonna be able to actually slice through people and not just have our attacks bounce off them like a ball.

I also enjoyed the first one and may get into this if it's as good and I have time with Diablo IV releasing around the same time. I'm taking the opposite approach and staying away from predecessor games to keep the new ones as fresh as possible in the lead up to this, Elden Ring DLC, Tears of the Kingdom, and Diablo IV; don't want to prematurely Diablow my Diabload! :troll:

Elden Ring DLC is probably the only thing I look forward to

Preach...

Aside from Dark Souls 2 and 3 fromsoft have always delivered

... BLASPHEMY! DS2 is more like a prototype Elden Ring than any of the previous individual Souls games, and Dark Souls 3 is perfected, literally combined, SoulsBorne, awesomeness (with a real story as relevant to the player as the world). The DLC of those games in particular is quite excellent, or redeeming, depending on your point of view, so it's fair to say From Soft always delivers great and vital-feeling DLC. Also, it's just funny to say they always deliver... except for two prominent, extremely high profile counterexamples! =)

BTW, looking forward to the added ray tracing when I start a new game for the DLC. I guess I don't need to start a new game for my lvl 1 character; it's not like he's overpowered for the content. :ganishka:

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
It's been eight years since the Bloodborne Curse was issued.I'm going to play Sekiro:Shadows Die Twice.
It took me a few years to play Sekiro but I really loved it. Hope you enjoy and remember that you HAVE to parry or the game just doesn't work lol

Elden Ring DLC is probably the only thing I look forward to, Aside from Dark Souls 2 and 3 fromsoft have always delivered
I'm excited for it but also might try out RE4 since that's out now. Also FFXVI and Breath of the Wild 2 which I haven't felt an extreme amount of hype for but will play when it comes out and have decent expectations for.

I also will probably start a new character in Elden once the DLC release date is announced to re-prepare for it.

For those interested, Jedi Fallen Order is currently available on PSN for $7 (Canadian). 90% off for a solid game like that is a steal!

It's been eight years since the Bloodborne Curse was issued.I'm going to play Sekiro:Shadows Die Twice.

May you enjoy the sword dance, wolf. Remember: hesitation is defeat.

Regarding DS2 and 3, what Griff said. Also, I'll add that it helps to think of the entire Dark Souls Saga as one unit instead of individually. The first one stands on its own, and the other two, DS3 especially, are even better with that foundation kept in mind. Together, they make a memorable story with a great beginning, a weird but still good middle, and an explosive end. That final battle with Gael, two nobodies dueling it out at the end of the world, with no one watching or caring, was just...*chef's kiss*

Last edited:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Also, it's just funny to say they always deliver... except for two prominent, extremely high profile counterexamples! =)

That's right, it's better to admit they dropped the ball a bit with DS2 and 3, which are clearly inferior. :iva:

Dark Emperor

Elden Ring DLC is probably the only thing I look forward to, Aside from Dark Souls 2 and 3 fromsoft have always delivered
I can sort of understand ds 2, but this ds 3 slander cannot stand! Haha, but I get it. I’m sure a lot of FromSoft fans wouldn’t like what I have to say about Bloodborne.

I’m sure a lot of FromSoft fans wouldn’t like what I have to say about Bloodborne.

We should rename this thread: "Games to slander!"

Tread lightly, heretic good hunter, for the Healing Church is powerful, and its Executioners are everywhere...:stop:

Heh. Just kidding. Blaspheme away. I like that people have different responses to the FromSoft repertoire. It speaks for the diversity of these games despite them sharing a core formula.

Griffith

That's right, it's better to admit they dropped the ball a bit with DS2 and 3, which are clearly inferior. :iva:

Well, compared to Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Elden Ring, sure. But they're still good and great games, respectively. DS3 in particular was a big critical and commercial success that helped solidify the series as a mainstream franchise, not just those popular games among weirdos, an important precursor to Elden Ring unexpectedly taking the world by storm. Let's keep talking about DS3!? :troll:

ds 3 slander cannot stand! Haha, but I get it. I’m sure a lot of FromSoft fans wouldn’t like what I have to say about Bloodborne.

Joe Biden: "Skill issue!"

And DS3 is pretty much directly retrofitted from BB to be more like Dark Souls, so I guess they fixed what you didn't like about it.

Heh. Just kidding. Blaspheme away. I like that people have different responses to the FromSoft repertoire. It speaks for the diversity of these games despite them sharing a core formula.

I'm not so sure, to me they're pretty damn similar, with Sekiro being the most unique despite sharing essentially the same modified engine as the rest, but with a completely different emphasis and combat mechanics, and less so for Bloodborne (though Bloodborne's style did seep back into DS3). What's interesting is it's not just a linear evolution and some feel more like each other than others, for instance Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and DS3 feel more similar to each other to me than DS1, DS2 and Elden Ring, which feel more similar to one another than the previous cluster. I'm not exactly sure what accounts for all that, but a lot of it is probably some pretty subtle tweaks to physics, iframes, hitboxes and hurtboxes, etc, even something as simple, but fundamental, as camera movement and how close it generally is to the player character. Like I said, it's a "feel" issue rather than all the practical ways the Souls are designed to be similar and Bloodborne, Sekiro and Elden Ring to be different.

Last edited:
Top Bottom