How the Journey Ends

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
This made me start to tear up both the knowledge of never seeing a continuation(barring 1-3 episodes if some were saved up) and understanding that the part of the story we saw last really did end in a peaceful place right after a lot of growth for each of them individually and as a family. Leaving the story behind before seeing a lot of this, especially Casca restored, would have made this so much more tragic and devastating. Thank you Miura for the amazing tale of growth and healing for Guts and his crew.

I am deeply sorry if i offend anyone. I too believe that only Miura-san that can create and deliver Berserk. But i still stand by my opinion. Again i am deeply sorry that i am/might be offending anyone from my selfish request or opinion. Cheers friend
You are not offensive and your English is fine to me.

I believe most people would not want to see Berserk go off the rails from Miura’s path just to get to an “ending.” It all depends on what Miura would want and what he left behind to work with story wise. I have no idea how the legality of it all would play out. There’s too many questions and people are still processing everything.

We’ll just have to wait and see. Which for Berserk fans is no problem.

Miura's passing is truly a blow on so many levels. As much as I would love the story to continue on to a conclusion, it will never be Miura's conclusion....and therefore, somewhat hollow. The only hope I have, if the story were to continue, is that Miura left a detailed contingency document of where he wanted to go with the story in the event of his untimely death.

But his mastery of his own characters, the nuanced storytelling, the mastery of his world...these are things that no stand in team could ever really duplicate. Truly all Berserk fans are torn.

I am trying to think of what Miura himself would have wanted for his creation...would he have desired it to remain incomplete, or would he have desired it to go on? I guess we will never truly know...or perhaps we will in time.

Thanks Griffith for this post, it's just lovely to think this way about the story. The story allowed the characters to truly reach some form of conclusion up until now, even though we know that there are some loose ends. Those loose ends, if thinking about it this way, are always present in any story, but we were all waiting on what guts vs griffiths would lead to, maybe no confrontation was going to happen, we can never know.

And about reaching some form of additional closure, maybe that's a subject for another thread. I think that we are all thinking about it in a positive or negative way. In my opinion, the only way the story could be continued is in the case that Miura left some kind of note talking about Berserk ending or possibilities (I doubt it) or that some work was already sent to the publisher but hasn't been shown yet (unlikely also).

This is beautiful, but deep down i still believe that the journey should continue. if studio Gaga have the notes/blueprints of the story from Miura-san, can and/or want to continue the story, i think they should do it. I am very sorry of my selfish request but i am not satisfied with this temporary ending ( although its beautiful ). I feel that Miura-san didnt go this far just for this cliffhanger ( again, i am sorry for my selfish request). Cheers friend
I want what Miura wanted.

If Miura wanted this to continue even in his death, and he ensured that his assistants were prepared for that, then let them fulfill what they have committed. If Miura would rather the series perish with him, then so be it.

Last edited:

DANGERDOOOOM

Rest In Peace, Kentaro Miura. We will miss you.
Its hard for me, but I’m fine with this ending of Berserk. I’m slowly starting to accept the abrupt end of our beloved companions long journey.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
Thanks Griffith, you've always had a knack for putting things into perspective! Like others have said, this does ease the sadness that many of us have been experiencing these past few days. This is a bittersweet end, but I'm happy that we made it where we did. If there's any more, it'll be a great gift, but I hope that whatever happens is in accordance with Miura's explicit wishes.

Last edited:
Its slowly starting to kick in. It's really over. I don't want to say goodbye, I am going to miss guts and his friends too much. Miura was such a talent at writing characters that I feel as though I am being forced to let go and say goodbye to people I care about and love.

Atleast I know that no matter what has happened, miura will live forever on in his work, and guts will always be off somewhere swinging his sword fighting for the things he loves. To Never back down. Struggle, wriggle, contend! We all just got our faces kicked into the dirt by life. Commander casca would be telling us to get back in formation, to stop the whining. Commander guts would have his dragon slayer in hand, ready to fight back with every bone in his body.

We dont give up, that is not what we were taught. If we get kicked down 10 times, we get up 20 times. As a member of the band of the hawk I will fight to stay positive, I will endure.

Mammon

Mangoku army
Thank you Griffith, that's beautiful...
There are indeed worst places to be stuck in limbo than in Elfhelm, with a cured Casca, a chatty Skull Knight, and a forthcoming Moonlight boy...

I am deeply sorry if i offend anyone. I too belive that only Miura-san that can create and deliver Berserk. But i still stand by my opinion. Again i am deeply sorry that i am/might be offending anyone from my selfish request or opinion. Cheers friend

It's alright man, we all want to know the ending.

But I think that a lot of people here remember the infuriating disaster that was the 2019 "Berserk: The Flame Dragon Knight", a novel that turned a few page of beautiful illustrations drawn by Mr Miura himself =>
Идеи на тему «Sketches» (100) | рисунки, тату с королевой, диснеевские  татуировки RSA @ nowhere ar Twitter: “HQ scans of all the illustrations by Kentaro  Miura from the Flame Dragon Knight novel. (1/3) #Berserk #NSFW… ”

... into a deeply distasteful, profoundly depressing mess of an "official fanfiction", that is more of an insult to Berserk than a bonus.

Makoto Fukami (director and screenwriter for the 2016 Berserk anime, which sadly, makes total sense) did a horrible job of writing a story from these drawings by Mr Miura.
[or at least this is the creative process that has been theorized as the most plausible to have happened, IIRC]

It would be a tragedy, should Mr Miura's notes be turned into a novel by someone else involved in these dreadful 2016/2017 Berserk animes.

Let's wait to hear what he wanted, even if nobody could blame him for not having a contingency plan, considering how young and healthy he was.

I suppose the best case scenario for such a sad situation, would be what JRR Tolkien's son Christopher (who passed away last year in France :sad: ) did for his father.
The Unfinished Tales are a wonderful companion to the books that Mr JRR Tolkien published during his lifetime.
But Mr Christopher Tolkien had access to "a compilation of drafts, fragments, rewrites, marginal notes and other writings culled from 70 boxes of unpublished material."

Who knows what notes Kentaro Miura has left behind?
And who would compile and publish them? And do we even know that a perfectionist such as him would have wished to have his raw, unpolished material shown to the world in this unfinished state?

All I'm saying is that this is way too early to know if Mr Miura even had any plans for such an event, and I imagine that the people who would know, AKA his assistants, are too busy mourning to be bothered by us right now...

Let's be patient, there is no doubt that we will have an answer eventually, probably in an upcoming issue of Young Animal or in Berserk volume 41. With only 6 episodes published since volume 40, there is going to be lots of empty space to perhaps explain what's to come, and maybe show some original artwork?

We'll have to stay strong, and wait and see.

https://i.imgur.com/C8zQprf.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I put off reading this until I could sit down without distractions and with a drink and some music. I got chills while reading this—particularly the final line. It flips the traditional perspective of a jarring ending to one where there are endings to be found. And that's a gift in this moment. I'm usually long-winded, but I think you said it all here very thoughtfully.

Reading this felt to me very similar to watching the ending slideshows in some of my favorite RPGs, where the story is wrapped up by briefly touching on where the various characters are currently while also looking forward to what the future holds for them. Along with mourning Miura's death these past days, like others I've also felt sadness when thinking how Berserk may never see its conclusion. However, this has made me come to the realization that for most characters in a story, their journey does not just abruptly end when the last page is written. Their lives and journeys will continue, even after a story ends.

Maybe the ending we're left with was an abrupt one where it currently stands. However, in many ways our main characters have already grown immensely and reached satisfactory points in their stories where this "slideshow" can take it from here.

Thanks a bunch for this, Griffith.

Last edited:
Really great post, thanks for this Griffith.

This gave me the idea that maybe we don't need more chapters for an actual ending but instead cut some small parts of the existing one just to erease some loose ends of the story and adding some kind of closure on the last chapters on elfhelm.

But i don't really know... I'm just sad.

Wow. It felt like I was reading the synopsis (is that the right word?) provided at the start of some volumes with the little character windows and descriptions of the story so far. Well done.
The word you seek is epilogue. Right now it's a dream fading away.

The word you seek is epilogue. Right now it's a dream fading away.
No. I was referring to how professionally Grif wrote it out. Similar to how at the start of some volumes there are descriptions of what has happened so far for each character.

Thank you for that perspective. I've lurked for 15 years or so but never posted.

Ever since I started reading this in college in 2001, the primary mission of this story has been the restoration of Casca. For people much more intimately involved in its nuances or subtext like causality and the godhand and all that, maybe the mission of the story was different? But for me, Casca was the ultimate goal and the story for me is always about the characters which we grow to love. I read the story for the last 20 years with this ultimate goal in my mind, hoping it would drive us forward in this singular goal. Last year, that mission was accomplished in an unbelievably grandiose, bittersweet, and creative way. We all did not realize it, but that did feel like and turned out to be the climax of Berserk which actually makes sense to me. While there are many many other subplots that could have potentially been explained, a vast universe like what he created always has these and stories always have to end somewhere. It is very satisfying to know that this main piece of the story was accomplished. I am very grateful of that actually. It's almost eerie, like some higher power knew what was coming and said "we have to at least resolve the main mission of the story!"

Thank you for that perspective. I've lurked for 15 years or so but never posted.

Ever since I started reading this in college in 2001, the primary mission of this story has been the restoration of Casca. For people much more intimately involved in its nuances or subtext like causality and the godhand and all that, maybe the mission of the story was different? But for me, Casca was the ultimate goal and the story for me is always about the characters which we grow to love. I read the story for the last 20 years with this ultimate goal in my mind, hoping it would drive us forward in this singular goal. Last year, that mission was accomplished in an unbelievably grandiose, bittersweet, and creative way. We all did not realize it, but that did feel like and turned out to be the climax of Berserk which actually makes sense to me. While there are many many other subplots that could have potentially been explained, a vast universe like what he created always has these and stories always have to end somewhere. It is very satisfying to know that this main piece of the story was accomplished. I am very grateful of that actually. It's almost eerie, like some higher power knew what was coming and said "we have to at least resolve the main mission of the story!"
Of course I am upset, that we cannot see more. But I too am happy that the main mission of restoring casca was completed. Would revenge against Griffith really amount to anything? The most important lesson guts had to learn was that revenge was not the way. So maybe the best thing For him is to let go of his hate and live his days with casca

I put off reading this until I could sit down without distractions and with a drink and some music. I got chills while reading this—particularly the final line. It flips the traditional perspective of a jarring ending to one where there are endings to be found. And that's a gift in this moment. I'm usually long-winded, but I think you said it all here very thoughtfully.
Hi all. I’ve been a lurker here and there for a while but only recently made an account which was accepted the day the news of Miura’s passing broke.

I’ve been following berserk for 15+ years after a friend in high school introduced me to it. And I completely agree with Walter’s sentiments. You nailed it Griffith and thank you for taking the time to compile and share this!

The day we heard the news my friend who introduced me to the series and myself had a conversation about exactly this. Despite all that happened this kind of an ending, albeit abrupt, honestly feels very fitting and even indicative of the points in the story where Miura would leave things to settle for a while, or take a break himself. I think regardless of what happens I will always in some capacity consider this to be the ending of Berserk.

Last edited:
There are definitely worse places for Berserk to get cut short at. I remember being frustrated with the first anime series ending at the absolute nadir of the Eclipse, during a moment that honestly felt like a commercial break. Sure, you had the stinger after the credits, and the first episode let you know that Guts survived and there was more story to be told, but that was a cold comfort that only left you scratching your head wondering how that even happened. And even discounting that, the picture it painted was a very bleak one: all the characters we knew were dead, Guts has changed for the worst, and he is now walking down a dark road that will inevitably turn him into a monster. It just came across as nihilistic. Where the manga has unfortunately left us off now at least instills a sense of hope in the future.

In fact, I would boldly say hope seems to be the theme of the Elf Island chapter, which began alongside the Fantasia arc. The world is in its worst state. The God Hand's plan has finally been realized after over a thousand years of meticulous planning, plotting, and arranging of the board. The world is filled with dangerous monsters that humanity in its current state cannot stand up against, most of the survivors have no choice but to be corralled into a single city-state ruled under the watchful eye of Femto, and Void, Slan, Conrad, and Ubik are now at large in the physical world, able to change and influence it on a scale like never before.

And yet, what have we seen so far? Victories big and small against godly beings. We have seen Guts slay what might be his most powerful foe yet: a monster the size of an island, with powers of assimilation and influence so terrifying that it was likened to a god. An army of merrow could not kill it, they could only seal it away. But Guts did what they could never do, not only banishing the Sea God from its mortal coil, but making it feel absolute terror in the process. True, this was a very draining battle that would have ended as a Pyrrhic victory for Guts had he fought it alone. But he's not alone anymore, and if anything, has more allies than ever before.

At this stage of the game, there is only one type of enemy I can think of that can appropriately up the ante.

But the God Hand are untouchable, are they not? The Skull Knight couldn't stab Void, nor could he slice Femto. A legion of Kushan archers couldn't hit Griffith, and their emperor couldn't even stand on his own two feet in his presence. And yet, one boy, after being given a demonstration of Griffith's power, was able to look him in the eye and physically strike him in the face! If Rickert can slap Griffith with just his hand, then maybe Guts can stab him with his sword.

But perhaps most damning of all was the glimpse we caught of the previous God Hand in episode 362. Four members we never saw before, that were never mentioned, that were never even hinted at. They existed a thousand years ago, but they don't exist now. Why is that? Where did they go? What happened to them? Why is only Void here? They say the simplest answer is usually the correct one which leads me to believe this: they are dead, slain by the forces good (such as they are). They were beaten once, and they can be beaten again. And now that the God Hand are back in the physical world, they are more vulnerable now than they've ever been for a millennium.

That was a beautiful read my friend.

Though, I never really cared too much about the ending itself.
For me, Berserk was all about the journey ; Guts struggle against apostles, the rise and descent of the Band of the Hawk, Guts redemption in the Conviction Arc, how Griffith conquered Midland and gave birth (indirectly) to Falconia, Guts flashback with Chitch, Casca recovering her sanity after 20 years (in the real world of course).

Which is why I'm so afraid of a possible continuation.
Miura was a genius of storytelling, he's one of the only artists I know that can tell a beautiful story with just a few pages (like Chitch's story).
It was also one of the best when it comes to visual storytelling, following greatly the rule "show don't tell".

I'm not so sure that someone can still maintain that level even if they have the whole plot.

I am not afraid to ask the question. What will happen to the story?

Do I want it finished? Yes, and I am not ashamed to say it since I love Berserk.
I can see only 3 scenarios (like I wrote in another thread):

1) That's it. The manga won't be continued and we will continue to honor Miura-san.

2) He did make a contingency plan, and though he will not be there, the spirit of the story will not change even if quality takes a light dip

3) See 1) but we might see a person from the inside give us some kind of conclusion via points to give a general outline of how the manga will end, giving the fandom means to craft and reach some kind of conclusion (Epistle 3 style with Half Life).

I would really love something like the "Sanderson - Wheel Of Time" type of scenario, you might think it is not ok this way, but I think Berserk is too good of a story to be left unfinished, not to mention the best manga ever made. Of course everything depends if Master Miura's had any contingency plan, any advices or manuscripts left, since I don't doubt the talent of his team, just look at Duranki. We may know soon, or we may not hear a single word, ultimately I believe a clash between Guts and Femto was inevitable. Bur regardless, Berserk was always a masterpiece and Miura is now immortal.

Last edited:
This post really helps put into perspective just how much better off the lead cast of characters are and how individually they each have reached satisfying endings. More than anything I am greatful that we got to see Casca restored before the end. I can't imagine the pain if we had been denied that. If I were to be greedy I would wish that we could have had just one scene of Guts and Casca together once again but I am happy knowing that with time they will heal and be happy.

In a way as much as I would love more, I am okay with Berserk ending here. I wish we knew more about the God Hand, both new and old. I wish we knew more about Skullknight and Danan. I wish we could see the Kushan village. But none of these things are necessary, just the cherry on top. In my mind Guts has moved on from his quest for revenge and is happy together with Casca, and I couldn't ask for a better ending than that.

That was a brilliant summary. It's a small crumb of comfort that Berserk ended on a positive note. Guts completed his quest in restoring the woman he loves, and now they live in peace & tranquillity, even if it feels unfamiliar to him right now. I also find it poetic that the last episode drawn by Miura had Guts, Casca and Griffith (kinda) reunited.

Top Bottom