How to send a tribute to Kentarou Miura

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Following Kentarou Miura's passing, here are instructions for those who wish to send their condolences or a mark of their appreciation to Young Animal's offices.

Please note that they are going through a rough time and are probably receiving a lot of letters from Japanese fans already, so it's best to not send in anything too bulky. However, I believe letters and condolences cards should be fine. They might accept things like flowers at a later time, if they decide to organize an official memorial, but for now it's best to stick to letters if you want to send something. Otherwise they might not accept delivery of it.

The staff likely doesn't read any language but Japanese, so sending long letters in English is not a great idea. But then again, it's a letter to Miura, so if you feel the need to pour your heart out, well, just do it. However, using machine translation is a terrible idea, as it's likely to mangle the message, and more importantly is unable to convey the correct nuances. On an occasion like this, no one would want to send in something spoken in a familiar manner and with the wrong tone, or worse, potentially offensive. Please don't just google translate something.

My recommendation is to keep it simple.

For artists, the ideal thing to do would be to send tribute art. Miura was a mangaka first and foremost. He loved art, and art is the best way to honor him. By all means, anyone who wants to create tribute art should do it.

But others shouldn't feel bad. A simple white card with a big "THANK YOU MIURA SENSEI" written in sharpie will also be very appreciated, I'm sure of it.

You can use simple English: "Thank you", "We love you", "Rest in peace", "R.I.P.", "Berserk forever", etc. And of course you can decorate the letter with hearts or other symbols. Be creative if you can and if you feel like it.

Please make sure to write his name properly, and please don't be overly familiar. In English, it's best to address him as "Kentarou Miura", "Miura sensei" or "Miura Kentarou sensei". If you want to write his name in Japanese, it's 三浦建太郎 先生 (his full name with sensei added) or simply 三浦 先生 (Miura sensei). Don't call him by his first name, and don't use his name without honorifics in Japanese.

Finally, for those who are intent on sending something in Japanese, here are some simple but appropriate sentences that you can use.

どうもありがとうございます、三浦先生。 (Thank you very much, Miura sensei.)
三浦先生、本当にありがとうございます。 (Miura sensei, thank you very much.)

ご冥福をお祈り申し上げます。 (I pray for your soul.)
心よりご冥福をお祈り申し上げます。 (I pray for your soul from the bottom of my heart.)

I put a variation for each, so choose one if you want but don't just put them all, obviously.

The address to which you need to send your tribute is:

〒101-0063
東京都千代田区神田淡路町2-2-2
白泉社 ヤングアニマル編輯部 「 ベルセルク」 係
JAPAN

If you can't print this or need to enter it manually, you can write it like this:

〒101-0063
2-2-2 Kanda Awajicho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Hakusensha, Young Animal Editing Department, "Berserk" section

And if you need to fill a form:

Address: 2-2-2 Kanda Awajicho, Chiyoda-ku
Address 2nd line: Hakusensha, Young Animal Editing Department, "Berserk" section
Postal code: 101-0063
City: Tokyo

If you lack space on the second line, you can abbreviate it as "Hakusensha, Young Animal Editing Department", they'll get it.

This is brilliant. Thank you very much for posting this.

I've managed to send a custom card via moonpig.com.

Last edited:
Thank you, i will send my drawing i did as a tribute along with a letter.

E2CJE27XEAMXeZs

This is great. Thanks Aazealh. I will likely send one of my Berserk postcards. I think sketching Chestnut Puck is about the limit of my artistic flair!

Top Bottom