Remembering Kentarou Miura

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Today is May 6 in Japan... It's been two years already since Miura-sensei left us.
incense.png

Kouji Mori has posted an old photo of the two of them on Twitter, from when they were in their early 20s.

Kouji Mori said:
悲しみが癒えないのはそれだけ素晴らしい日々を過したという事なのだ。 毎日そう思って生きている。
つぎはぎ写真は二十歳の頃。三浦は穏やかな男だったが写真に頑固さが出ているなあ。

MoriTwitter2023_Miura20s.jpg

RIP my author and master. Every time I open a volume, I'm reminded of his loss, but also of how lucky we were to have him.

How is that tree you planted looking today, @Aazealh ?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I can’t believe it’s been two years already. I hope Miura-sensei is resting peacefully.

Kouji Mori has posted an old photo of the two of them on Twitter, from when they were in their early 20s.

Man, they look like kids! Thanks for sharing, Aaz. :serpico:

puella

Berserk forever
Miura-sensei, with your parting, I feel like the great era of manga ended.
You had said you couldn't go enjoy the sakura blossoms that year.
Your tree has been growing well. You must see the beautiful flowers...
I'm sad thinking about you, but I'm happy seeing your drawings.
As always, thank you very much.

Yūko Miyamura - voice of Casca in the '97 anime - shared some thoughts and Casca artwork in a tweet commemorating the day. Very, very rough translation:

I'm at my parents' house right now. I decided to bring back a lot of [old stuff] from my room. Today is the [2nd] anniversary of Miura-sensei's death. If you look at this Casca Miyamura portrait that I received [when the '97 anime was produced], [you will notice]...what? It's not signed! Sensei, [when we see each other next], will you take this and sign it?"
FvcMH_qaYAIgidy.jpg

It's hard to imagine, two years later that a light that was burning so fiercely and holding up so much go out so suddenly. But two years later especially how much the legacy has endured and so has the work Miura left behind, it's beautiful to see that some legacies are never truly forgotten. Losing Miura really felt like a raw gut-punch and it still hurts after the fact, but despite that.

Berserk still lives on in the hearts & imaginations of readers and will continue to do so generations to come.

Miura's death is something that like most death is really impossible to come to terms with. There is no logic or reasoning to it, no fairness, no nothing. So senseless for someone who brought so much good to the world to die young and healthy like that.

So I can only focus on things that do make sense and that I can get my head around. His life, his work, how it impacted me personally and others with the same sensabilities. How one single person could conjure that world and those characters. His outstanding art that besides being the work of a hand of a genius draughtman was put to the utmost use guided by impecable taste. What a man. Thank you

Two years hasn’t changed much for me. It hasn’t gotten easier. It still feels intensely unfair that such a thing happened to Miura of all people.

Miura's death is something that like most death is really impossible to come to terms with. There is no logic or reasoning to it, no fairness, no nothing.

Yeah, same for me. I've just accepted the fact that it won't get any easier and that it will always hurt, precisely because it feels unfair and it was so sudden, among other things. The fact that they continue the story makes it even harder, because is a constant reminder that everything changed and nothing is the same anymore, even if most people are like "hey, at least the story continues". We can't have a proper, natural closure, and the main reason for this is the continuation project. It hurts to write something like that, but with the continuation project, Berserk just became a zombie that needs to be put down.

Yeah, same for me. I've just accepted the fact that it won't get any easier and that it will always hurt, precisely because it feels unfair and it was so sudden, among other things. The fact that they continue the story makes it even harder, because is a constant reminder that everything changed and nothing is the same anymore, even if most people are like "hey, at least the story continues". We can't have a proper, natural closure, and the main reason for this is the continuation project. It hurts to write something like that, but with the continuation project, Berserk just became a zombie that needs to be put down.
Perfectly put. In recent times I’ve gone from being optimistic about the continuation to preferring no continuation entirely. Don’t get me wrong, I would have loved Mori and Studio Gaga to disclose what Miura’s plans were. But doing it in the form of a manga continuation just evokes the feeling of… really? Is this really necessary?

Miura was a very kind-hearted person, I can tell that much just from watching that exhibition interview of him that got shared recently on YouTube. I truly never even considered his passing a possibility. The night I found out, I didn’t sleep. His manga was unreal and won’t ever lose my attention and love. Time passes by too fast…

Beelzebud

[...] Into the abyss will I run [...]
I've just seen Miura's exhibition interview today, i catch myself smiling about how sweet and passionate he looks, and then without noticing I had tears streaming down my face, in my chest a mixed feeling of sadness and joy. Miura was an inspiration even I'm not into any type of art, his dedication to what he loved is the most striking trait of him (for me) and being able to follow his work made with love, just for all of us, is what bring me joy.

At that moment I was wondering in which moment I had, somehow, accepted that this is how life works, and don't have more that feeling of "unfairness", and I suddenly realized that two years had passed since May 2021, and then i come immediately to here, that forum, the only place that I can share my feelings about Berserk and Miura, this is where I seek solace because no one else understand what the loss of Miura means (like, it's just manga), but you know!

I'm Grateful for Berserk, I'm Grateful for Miura, and I'm Grateful for skullknight.net. That's what remains.

I hope, and believe, that someday, somewhere, everyone that loves Berserk will had the chance see it's true outcome by the hands of Miura-sensei. Rest in Peace.
incense.png

Parkus

Keep pushing no matter what
Bit late and I apologize, nothing has really changed for me either, I still feel sadness lingering within me. Even if I were to fully come to terms with it I would still feel the sadness coming and going each and everyday.

Even with this pain I'm still grateful I got to experience this creation called berserk from a great man, everyday I read at least one episode, not in chronological or anything but just to get reminded how great everything that he made was, all so beautiful with so many details.

Wherever you are Miura, rest peacefully.

Last edited:
Top Bottom