Sports You Enjoy

The title can be further divided into 2 sub-questions:

1. Which sports do you enjoy playing?
2. Which sports do you enjoy watching?

and I suppose I'll add a third,

3. Recommend sports-themed works!

In my case,

1. I enjoy playing basketball. It's my favorite sport and the only one in which I can say that I'm decent; I was not blessed with athletic talent and so I pretty much suck in every sport I play, particularly volleyball and baseball *shivers from PE Class memories*. Basketball was the exception though, and I spent half of my teenage years in the playing court. I was particularly good at scoring 3-pointers (which tended to piss off my classmates haha), and even though I'm not a particularly tall person, I still had explosive jumping power as a teenager, which let me almost touch the hoop. Sadly, I never fulfilled my dream of dunking. Anyway, basketball rules!

2. Ironically, I don't enjoy watching basketball all that much; although watching Stephen Curry score all those points is always a delight. I used to enjoy football (soccer), but it's become almost unbearable to watch nowadays, with the constant interruptions, players acting, and VAR. I think my favorite to watch at this point is tennis. The rhythm and the back-and-forth (minus the constant screaming) is very engaging. I particularly enjoy watching Rafael Nadal play, while my family are all Roger Federer fans. Watching the two play against each other was always fun haha.

3. I grew up with Captain Tsubasa and Slam Dunk, which I think most people have seen anyway. Kuroko's Basketball is very fun (and cringe-inducing, to be honest, but I still love it). There's Haikyuu!! (volleyball) and Aoashi (football/soccer), which I'm currently watching. Outside of manga and anime, I hear Ted Lasso is a good show too.

PS: I do apologize if this has been made before; I searched ten pages of results and didn't find a specific thread like this one.

Last edited:

Dark Emperor

Dweller of the Lotus Moon
Playing: basketball, tennis, soccer
Watching: basketball, tennis, American football, formula 1 racing.
Recommend: I've never actually watched/read a sports anime/manga, but maybe Fist of the North Star (Hokuto no Ken) manga just because of martial arts. Maybe that counts for a little something?

Playing - mahjong, table tennis, chess, cricket, badminton, pool, snooker, and I enjoy a swim on occasion (used to represent my school but I'm not that good anymore).

Watching - table tennis, chess, cricket, badminton, snooker, F1, tennis, hockey, rugby, and body building.

3. I grew up with Captain Tsubasa and Slam Dunk, which I think most people have seen anyway. Kuroko's Basketball is very fun (and cringe-inducing, to be honest, but I still love it). There's Haikyuu!! (volleyball) and Aoashi (football/soccer), which I'm currently watching. Outside of manga and anime, I hear Ted Lasso is a good show too.
Ted Lasso is a fun show, 2 seasons so far. Ace of Diamond is a decent baseball anime. Since you're into tennis, the producers of Drive To Survive that helped popularize F1 in the US through Netflix have a new show about tennis called Break Point.

Playing - mahjong, table tennis, chess, cricket, badminton, pool, snooker, and I enjoy a swim on occasion (used to represent my school but I'm not that good anymore).

Watching - table tennis, chess, cricket, badminton, snooker, F1, tennis, hockey, rugby, and body building.

That's quite the list of sports, IncantatioN!

I also hadn't considered games such as chess and mahjong (very interesting choice btw), as I was mainly thinking of physical sports, so thanks for bringing these up. In this case, I'll add that I enjoy card games a lot (classic, such as Black Jack, and TCGs).

Body Building is an interesting choice to put as a sport to watch. I can't stand even doing it haha.

Ted Lasso is a fun show, 2 seasons so far. Ace of Diamond is a decent baseball anime. Since you're into tennis, the producers of Drive To Survive that helped popularize F1 in the US through Netflix have a new show about tennis called Break Point.

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll be sure to check it out. Ace of Diamond is pretty cool too. I saw one season of it back in 2019 and it was fun. I suppose it's time to get back on it.

---

I watched Blue Lock, another soccer anime, since I made this thread. It's quite different from all the other ones that I've seen. A hunger games (minus the deaths of course) style sport show wasn't what I was expecting to see.

The Index Finger

The Spatula of the Chef Hand
I started getting back into basketball but mainly Volleyball has taken over my body. My parents kind of boosted my self-esteem to get into that spot so yeah.
Volleyball is much simpler because of my height and build also it allows me to coordinate with my team like a squad (I mainly play with my friends) without passes and such.
Basketball is something I used to be a master at; but it slowly faded away as the years went by since my high school graduation like four 1/2 years ago. I started training myself to be better equipped with the sheer speed of my brother in basketball (he's a literal speed demon).
I also started teaching my younger cousins how to swim so that's a start as a coach.
Now that that's all wrapped up, I got a simple list:
Playing: Volleyball, Basketball, Ping Pong?
Not Playing/Watching: Hockey, Swimming, Basketball, Volleyball, Football, and Soccer.

When I was a child like to play basketball, now jump aerobics more. I like watching basketball games, curling games and figure skating games.

I compete in Kickboxing and Muay Thai, and mostly those are the only sports I watch as well besides Boxing and MMA. My best friend is really into motocross, so occasionally I'll have a few beers with him and watch; it's very entertaining! As far as sports-themed works go, I really like the shonen classic Hajime No Ippo. I remember really enjoying Tetsuya Saruwatari's TOUGH in high school and I'd have to re-read to know if it still hits the same, but the art in it is without a doubt gorgeous. Not as detailed as Miura's work in regards to landscapes, but I would argue the character drawings and action sequences are on par (at least from my memory).

Top Bottom