The VR thread

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Nah, I stopped playing for a bit when I couldnt get the Quest controllers to play nice with having to cover my mouth in a certain segment of the game. Lots of dying and restarting due to a technicality really drains the motivation. I'll finish it some day!

Oof, I know which segment you're referring to, and although I never encountered that level of disfunction, I can imagine because it could be tricky (especially on the generic Visor controllers). When you get back to it I think there's a couple of workarounds for the issue though, like a mask located early in the segment, and there may have even been an accessibility option to change the control for that mechanic in case of just such a problem. This is also a general VR hazard where the more they have you reaching toward and around your head, though great for immersion, the more you're going to inadvertently hit yourself or the helmet (not so great for immersion).

In the meantime, I have been playing a lot of VR, in fact I'd say I'm primarily playing VR these days when i have time to play.

You playing RE4? I need to get back into it now that we've got some cool nights to keep me from bathing the equipment in sweat, though I can no longer just clean the computer room anymore while getting credit for being a good husband, "You're only cleaning to play VR, aren't you?"

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oof, I know which segment you're referring too, and although I never encountered that level of disfunction, I can imagine because it could be tricky (especially on the generic Visor controllers). When you get back to it I think there's a couple of workarounds for issue though, like a mask located early in the segment, and there may have even been an accessibility option to change the control for that mechanic in case of just such a problem. This is also a general VR hazard where the more they have you reaching toward and around your head, though great for immersion, the more you're going to inadvertently hit yourself or the helmet (not so great for immersion).

You playing RE4? I need to get back into it now that we've got some cool nights to keep me from bathing the equipment in sweat, though I can no longer just clean the computer room anymore while getting credit for being a good husband, "You're only cleaning to play VR, aren't you?"
Welp, Jeff ended up in a tight spot, and then I started spelunking. Thanks for the prod to try Alyx again, it's fuckin great. Tonight was also my first time trying it with Virtual Desktop instead of being tethered. I do think the fidelity is a bit better with the Link, but being tetherless is a huge upgrade for immersion, so I'll take that hit.

And yeah, RE4, I bought it at launch, played it for maybe 1h so far. It's a solid port. I've just had other games I've been interested in since it launched.

Griffith

Welp, Jeff ended up in a tight spot, and then I started spelunking. Thanks for the prod to try Alyx again, it's fuckin great.

Nice, and yeah, it's fantastic and I hope they make "Alyx 2," or whatever the next Half-Life is in VR, otherwise it's going to feel like a step backward. BTW, have you tried Boneworks? I still haven't gotten far in it, but it wears its Half-Life inspiration on its sleeve and is impressive if you're into physics-based gameplay.

Tonight was also my first time trying it with Virtual Desktop instead of being tethered. I do think the fidelity is a bit better with the Link, but being tetherless is a huge upgrade for immersion, so I'll take that hit.

Oh hell yeah, it's the way to go! I'm glad I was able to experience a couple different cord management methods, having it come up from the floor, overhead from the ceiling, behind, on the side, even in front, but each has its own drawbacks or "dead zone" where the cord is going to restrict, interfere, or run into you or your arms if it's hanging. The first time I played Alyx I spent half the time moving in a way so as to not get tangled up in the cord, literally alternating which way I turned and using the stick to overturn the opposite way to compensate, which of course defeats the purpose. I didn't even expect to get Virtual Desktop to work for me, I was experimenting more than anything, but once it did I couldn't go back, it was a total game changer.

Invest in a cheap battery pack though, otherwise you can run it down in a couple hours, especially if you're going for max fidelity. I have one strapped to the back of my Quest for balance and it really sets you free never having to worry about cords or power again.

And yeah, RE4, I bought it at launch, played it for maybe 1h so far. It's a solid port. I've just had other games I've been interested in since it launched.

Frankly, I'd find it pretty daunting given its length, unless the gameplay is somehow as addictive in VR as the original. I'm skeptical though.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nice, and yeah, it's fantastic and I hope they make "Alyx 2," or whatever the next Half-Life is in VR, otherwise it's going to feel like a step backward. BTW, have you tried Boneworks? I still haven't gotten far in it, but it wears its Half-Life inspiration on its sleeve and is impressive if you're into physics-based gameplay.
Coincidentally I bought it last night on Steam, but found the performance to be pretty bad on my machine, so I returned it. Seemed very cool! One day… And in any case that team’s next game is a Quest exclusive.

Oh hell yeah, it's the way to go! I'm glad I was able to experience a couple different cord management methods, having it come up from the floor, overhead from the ceiling, behind, on the side, even in front, but each has its own drawbacks or "dead zone" where the cord is going to restrict, interfere, or run into you or your arms if it's hanging. The first time I played Alyx I spent half the time moving in a way so as to not get tangled up in the cord, literally alternating which way I turned and using the stick to overturn the opposite way to compensate, which of course defeats the purpose. I didn't even expect to get Virtual Desktop to work for me, I was experimenting more than anything, but once it did I couldn't go back, it was a total game changer.
I think my router is to blame for the fidelity issue. I’ll need to upgrade it to really fix it. But it is definitely the future, and until I get that upgrade games like Stormland and Asgard’s Wrath will have to wait.

Griffith

It's pretty fun honestly. I think you'd enjoy it a lot!

Oh, I'm sure, and as everyone knows I love most things Resident Evil (I guess VIILAGE is my GOTY?:shrug:), but I'd have to try it to see if it translates for me still, especially in VR. I haven't had much luck getting back into RE4 since it's heyday, mostly due the control/quality of life improvements of its successors, but maybe this is the makeover it needed.

Coincidentally I bought it last night on Steam, but found the performance to be pretty bad on my machine, so I returned it. Seemed very cool! One day… And in any case that team’s next game is a Quest exclusive.

Interesting, it going to be in the same vein or something completely different? Anyway, yeah, it seems very cool but I've never been able to get far before, literally, getting tired of it from climbing some virtual obstacle course.

I think my router is to blame for the fidelity issue. I’ll need to upgrade it to really fix it. But it is definitely the future, and until I get that upgrade games like Stormland and Asgard’s Wrath will have to wait.

I should see what I can get out of mine now, the reason I got the battery pack is because I had to really boost the data for Skyrim, otherwise it would show artifacts in the distant vistas, etc. I also recently acquired a wifi booster, but I'm skeptical it'll even widen the range, let alone the strength, of my connection.

Top Bottom