What are you listening to? (general music thread)

I just started getting into the Souls Series, (quite a bit late, I know). But Bloodbornes ost slaps and I've listened to nothing but lol
Yes the ost for Bloodborne is amazing I think my favourite ost is this
I remember when you fight the enemy with the sack for the first time, and I died i fully prepared to go back to the lamp and get the shit ton of echoes I had just dropped, but then instead he transports you to the Yarghul unseen village area, and that music plays, I was shitting myself because it was a new area and I couldn't afford to die because of the echoes I dropped it was terrifying. I also completely missed the lamp on the stairs, it feels like you just entered a level 100 area that you are not supposed to be there imo one of the best moments in any souls series for me.

Yes the ost for Bloodborne is amazing I think my favourite ost is this
Bloodborne definitely has the best ost from any souls game, and I'm hard pressed on this, but on any game? I'd say Red Dead Redemption 2 has the best ost in my opinion just since I'm a big sucker for old timey and/or western-esque music.
I remember when you fight the enemy with the sack for the first time, and I died i fully prepared to go back to the lamp and get the shit ton of echoes I had just dropped, but then instead he transports you to the Yarghul unseen village area, and that music plays, I was shitting myself because it was a new area and I couldn't afford to die because of the echoes I dropped it was terrifying. I also completely missed the lamp on the stairs, it feels like you just entered a level 100 area that you are not supposed to be there imo one of the best moments in any souls series for me.
The first time you die to a kidnapper is horrifying, but also intriguing in all the best ways. There are other ways to get to the Unseen Village but the kidnapper way is the best for your first time, just since your such a low level at that point, going up against what feels like gods. Especially since you didn't see the lamp, you must have been scared shitless for finding yourself in hell with no way out.

I wanted to celebrate that I was very fortunate to see a Heilung ritual/concert at Red Rocks Amphitheater this past October. Quite an incredible event. It was the sole show they had this year, and it did not disappoint. Many would call it a very spiritual experience and I have to agree that it felt very special among my concert experiences. Very grateful for being able to see them live. :)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
My go to car/road trip album in recent years has been the Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood soundtrack.

(Songs and timestamps in the first comment)

The authentic vintage sixties LA radio ads, for the ideal male scent or suntan lotion that lets you burn just right, are the icing on the cake.:serpico:

Next up I'm looking forward to the new Megadeth album in about a week because they're regular like clockwork and the only things that can even slow Dave Mustaine down are nerve damage, cancer and pandemics. Speaking of which, killer album title and art:

Next up I'm looking forward to the new Megadeth album in about a week because they're regular like clockwork and the only things that can even slow Dave Mustaine down are nerve damage, cancer and pandemics. Speaking of which, killer album title and art:

I haven’t listened to anything from Megadeth after Risk. Any noteworthy album?

Griffith

I haven’t listened to anything from Megadeth after Risk. Any noteworthy album?

We'll, you certainly got out at the nadir, but they've had a bit of a resurgence, if not a renaissance, since the 2000s. The most highly regarded being Dystopia (2016) and Endgame (2009), which are almost all pure thrash, and a personal favorite of mine is The System Has Failed (2004), which is basically a solo studio project where Dave brought back Chris Poland for lead guitar and called it Megadeth to fulfill their contract, but it worked out well enough that it revived the brand! Anyway, it was what I was looking for from Megadeth at the time, something at least on par with their better 90s output with some thrashier moments, after a lot of disappointment from them and other bands from my youth (ahem, remember St. Anger? Yeah, that was its competition =), and they pretty much kept it up from there. United Abominations (2007) and Thirteen (2011) are uneven but both have some standout tracks and none too bad, but I'd definitely stay away from The World Needs A Hero (2001), an unsuccessful return to flabby 90s form after Risk, and especially Super Collider (2014), which was basically Risk 2 and hopefully Dave's final attempt at mainstream radio relevance after the good albums mentioned above had rebuilt their reputation and chart position (almost all of these actually charted in the top 10, their last at number 3, so they've pretty much stayed relevent). Anyway, this one sounds like it's going to be more of the same, but that's a good thing because Dave Mustaine, even despite throat cancer, has proven that he was basically put on this planet to consistently make killer metal riffs in perpetuity. And his voice doesn't sound any worse on record! :ganishka:

Last edited:

Griffith

The new Megadeth does indeed fucking rip! \m/:void:\m/

After listening to this today I had to grab the nearest guitar, an LTD DV8 appropriately enough, and play that ominous little intro. I still need to listen some more, but at first blush I'm thrilled and think this is as good as anything they've put out since Rust in Peace, and even if it's not then it's just nice to hear a big 80's thrash band that can still consistently get it up like they used to. I dig the title track, Life in Hell, Night Stalkers, Soldier On!, Mission to Mars (somewhat ironically, but that's clearly intentional =), and We'll Be Back, of course. Dogs of Chernobyl seems like a grower, Killing Time and Célebutante are good (the requisite Mustaine "fuck you" tracks to his perceived enemies or just generally to all the posers and punks out there =), and Sacrifice and even Junkie aren't too bad. The bonus cover tracks are even fun (maybe they should have let Sammy help Dave with vocals for the whole album). :griffnotevil:

Last edited:
I've been enjoying this band, Crazy Lixx, a lot recently. Some good songs of theirs:

1. Never Die

2. Riot Avenue

3. Hell Raising Women

Griffith

Cool, at first I thought they were a retro satire like Steel Panther, but they're genuine contemporary Swedish glam rockers!

Anyway, I'm going to follow your lead and embed some more selections from the new 'Deth:

7e35le09zwl91.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, at first I thought they were a retro satire like Steel Panther, but they're genuine contemporary Swedish glam rockers!

Yeah, they're pretty good. I find myself relying more and more on European bands to sate my rock cravings lately than North American ones. Most of the bands I grew up with (Disturbed, Godsmack, Breaking Benjamin, etc) aren't as satisfying to me in their more recent outputs (Alter Bridge is still great though). Dunno if this is just the nostalgia talking, but I'm more stuck to a specific time for each of these bands.

So music like Crazy Lixx's comes as refreshing to me.

Anyway, I'm going to follow your lead and embed some more selections from the new 'Deth:

Those are some good tracks right there! Mission to Mars is my favorite. I'm going to check out more of their music, as I'm not very familiar with Megadeth except for that Mustaine was fired from Metallica back in the day. Getting Iron Maiden vibes from what I heard though, which is fine by me!

Nine Inch Nails.

Listening to Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, and The Downward Spiral in the car every morning while going to work since weeks.
I generally take a break from some records after many listen but... Nine Inch Nails is special.

Speaking of Iron Maiden, here are some favorite songs:

1. Aces High

2. Alexander the Great (356 - 323 B.C.)

3. The Writing On The Wall

Straight up fire, holy shit!

Last edited:
We'll, you certainly got out at the nadir, but they've had a bit of a resurgence, if not a renaissance, since the 2000s. The most highly regarded being Dystopia (2016) and Endgame (2009), which are almost all pure thrash, and a personal favorite of mine is The System Has Failed (2004), which is basically a solo studio project where Dave brought back Chris Poland for lead guitar and called it Megadeth to fulfill their contract, but it worked out well enough that it revived the brand! Anyway, it was what I was looking for from Megadeth at the time, something at least on par with their better 90s output with some thrashier moments, after a lot of disappointment from them and other bands from my youth (ahem, remember St. Anger? Yeah, that was its competition =), and they pretty much kept it up from there. United Abominations (2007) and Thirteen (2011) are uneven but both have some standout tracks and none too bad, but I'd definitely stay away from The World Needs A Hero (2001), an unsuccessful return to flabby 90s form after Risk, and especially Super Collider (2014), which was basically Risk 2 and hopefully Dave's final attempt at mainstream radio relevance after the good albums mentioned above had rebuilt their reputation and chart position (almost all of these actually charted in the top 10, their last at number 3, so they've pretty much stayed relevent). Anyway, this one sounds like it's going to be more of the same, but that's a good thing because Dave Mustaine, even despite throat cancer, has proven that he was basically put on this planet to consistently make killer metal riffs in perpetuity. And his voice doesn't sound any worse on record! :ganishka:

Hey man, I really appreciate the in-depth answer!

I half-listened to the new one and I must say studio Mustaine does sound fine indeed. Kind of feels like they watered down their stuff to me though.

I also had no idea he brought Poland back in 2004, but I really liked his stuff on Killing is my Business... so The System Has Failed is definitely on the top of my metal albums to listen to right now.

By the way, have you seen this one?

Pretty cool cover if you ask me!

Nine Inch Nails.
www.youtube.com

Terrible Lie

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupTerrible Lie · Nine Inch NailsPretty Hate Machine℗ 1989 TVT/ Interscope RecordsReleased on: 1989-10-20Composer L...
www.youtube.com
www.youtube.com
Listening to Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, and The Downward Spiral in the car every morning while going to work since weeks.
I generally take a break from some records after many listen but... Nine Inch Nails is special.
Damn, that's what I'm listening to this period too!

I really really really like some of the stuff Reznor has done in those two records (haven't heard any others yet) and I think he's a musical genius in a certain degree. On the other hand there are some pretty boring songs in there too, and I think the use of noise doesn't always work for him.

In short, I'm eager to listen to more of his stuff but I kind of wish I had given it a listen some years back, when the subject matter would have been more in accordance with my mindset and feelings.

Thinking again, maybe not!

Last edited:
Damn, that's what I'm listening to this period too!

I really really really like some of the stuff Reznor has done in those two records (haven't heard any others yet) and I think he's a musical genius in a certain degree. On the other hand there are some pretty boring songs in there too, and I think the use of noise doesn't always work for him.

In short, I'm eager to listen to more of his stuff but I kind of wish I had given it a listen some years back, when the subject matter would have been more in accordance with my mindset and feelings.

Again, maybe not! haha
Yeah, he is a really good musician ! For sure, there are some tracks that I tend to skip on all Nine Inch Nails records but overall, it's very good.
Pretty Hate Machine is quite old now, so it feels very late 80's obviously.
I like "Sin" very much:

You should listen to all his/their records, I'm sure you'll find some stuff that you'll enjoy. His ambient/instrumental tracks are beautiful too:

The OST of Quake is pretty good if you like his darker ambient stuff.

I could go on and on about Trent Reznor. lol

Griffith

Hey man, I really appreciate the in-depth answer!

I half-listened to the new one and I must say studio Mustaine does sound fine indeed. Kind of feels like they watered down their stuff to me though.

I also had no idea he brought Poland back in 2004, but I really liked his stuff on Killing is my Business... so The System Has Failed is definitely on the top of my metal albums to listen to right now.

Happy to chat about it, but if you thought the new album was too watered down (know which tracks you heard?) I don't know that you'll like TSHF since it's even more a mix of some of their harder 80s riffage and their more streamlined 90s sound (it is probably their most sophisticated and personal lyrically since it was originally to be a solo album).

To put a different emphasis on my earlier recommendations, the only one that's possibly harder than the new album is Endgame, and Dystopia probably sounds the heaviest of their recent stuff, while United Abominations is pretty highly regarded musically but, woof, some of the lyrics (I guess that's true of ALL of these =). I thought the new album had the closest songwriting and tone to their classic sound of anything they've done since Rust though (maybe it's actually Endgame or UA, but they have has some definite mid-2000s sonic characteristics I don't love).

Anyway, after loving pretty much everything on the new album in the car the other day my opinion has solidified around my initial listening reactions. The album proper splits nicely into three parts actually, the first four songs are great, so are the last four, and the tracks in the middle are ok to good, each with some cool part(s) that stand out, and then the bonus cover tracks are really good too.

I feel like if you cut it down to the hardest seven tracks plus Police Truck in the middle somewhere you'd basically have a classic Megadeth album, but I wouldn't want to lose the whimsy of Mission to Mars for something more rote like Sacrifice.

By the way, have you seen this one?

Pretty cool cover if you ask me!

Pretty cool indeed, I just saw this recently actually when checking out material from the new album. Fun fact: Lamb of God's Chris Adler played drums on Dystopia and was kind of a creative consultant to Dave on what sounded like classic Megadeth to him as a fan who also happened to be a successful pro musician in his own right. He also recommended their new permanent drummer, who has the body of the goat quasi-apostle but sounds like he has four arms.

Last edited:

Griffith

So, I've listened to this a bit the past month and it really grew on me, before growing old of course, but that's understandable since it's just one song. It's a fun and encouraging little throwback thrasher though, so I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming album based on it. My worry is most of the rest of the songs aren't going to be this pithy and effective (maybe this is the ONLY one like this on the album like Hardwired), or that Kirk is just going to wank improvised solos the whole time again instead of actually writing lead guitar (it works ok here, but his solo EP is way more interesting than his contribution to Metallica the last decade), but production-wise this probably the best they've sounded on record since the 90s and I already like the songwriting better than on Hardwired.

caf0bb68-3b7c-4c31-810c-f6d45a00abd6.92e56e02433f1a54f7195950df3435e0.jpeg

The album concept itself sounds like a thoughtful vehicle for retrospection without necessarily trying to recapture your youth, but my guess is that aside from the title track the rest of it is just going to be the next 12 songs like most of their latter day albums (maybe for the best if St. Anger and Lulu is what happens when they try to make highly conceptual albums post-Justice). If you want the Metallica Nerd That's Done The Reading Analysis though: this sounds like a modern interpretation, if not interpolation at times, of Hit the Lights, which is their first song, and if that was the beginning, let their be light, the theme here is obviously, literally, light eternal. This makes sense as a reexamination of the idea for guys carrying that torch 40+ years later. Also, the line "Full speed or nothing" is a direct quote of Motorbreath, which was like Hetfield's personal youth anthem (only song in their library he has solo credit on), which Fuel was sort of the middle-aged spiritual successor too, which I guess makes this the never-say-die, old man equivalent since he's rocking the silver fox look in the video.

Also, I feel like, given the way people stream older music alongside new these days and the social media reaction (everybody and their grandma did a reaction video to this), they're somehow more relevant today than they were 10 years ago when they were coming off a decade-long nadir: Napster, St. Anger, Death Magnetic production, Lulu... ouch! Now it's like they're kind of the only rock band of this stature still active and staying relevant if not vital, like the closest thing to being able to go see Led Zeppelin today (the ticket prices for the football stadium tour certainly suggest they think so). Plus, the last album was good and their most authentic and on point since Load, better than the previous, which was also pretty good aside from the clippy, brick-walled production (they've since stealth edited the digital releases, but the GH3 mix is still superior IMHO), so there's a positive sample size and recent track record to go off of here too. Though, maybe I'm naïve and it's really just the Stranger Things bump (yuck). Either way they're kind of poised to have a moment here if the album is as good as this (recycled Kill Em All riffs? Sure!). Anyway, like I said, this track grew on me until it was played out, so hopefully the rest will be as enjoyable and add some variety to the mix.

Last edited:
How do you feel about Metallica's new track 'If Darkness Had A Son', Griffith? As I type the track name, I can hear the riffs and entire song in my head. So it's pretty easy to remember, which's maybe a conscious effort they were going for rather than complex songwriting. It's pretty basic, straightforward.

The new Linkin Park track 'Lost' for the 20th anniversary of Meteora is such a good track. It didn't convince me to splurge on the 20th anniversary box set, I mean I have the LP anyway. I am tempted though to get the 50th anniversary box set for The Dark Side Of The Moon. Lets not talk about all the dumb chatter around Waters, what he said in the media, etc - he's just tooooo much hahaha! And, I'm not interested in his re-recording of the album.

Griffith

How do you feel about Metallica's new track 'If Darkness Had A Son', Griffith? As I type the track name, I can hear the riffs and entire song in my head. So it's pretty easy to remember, which's maybe a conscious effort they were going for rather than complex songwriting. It's pretty basic, straightforward.

Definitely, I wasn't impressed at first (more on that in a sec), but then I had that fucking riff and beat in my head all day and thought, "Motherfuckers did it again..." Let's go ahead and post it:

So, my first reaction, starting with the preview of the intro they released, is that it's Eye of the Beholder! I was immediately calling it If Beholder Had a Son. Now, it's not like that's super unique as a galloping, chug riff, but at times I thought it sounded almost like a modern cover of Beholder, and the riff under the verse sounds like a transitory one from Beholder too. Now, even that could just be a coincidence: these songs typically get built off the main riff, if you have a similar main riff, you may write similar auxiliary riffs around it, etc. It's also interesting that it's the second song that seems like a modern interpretation/interpolation of a previous one, this to Beholder as Lux Æterna is to Hit the Lights. I don't know if that's intentional, if they're merely echoing if not repeating themselves, or if it really matters (it kind of works for the concept). And structure/intent-wise, these two songs are very different, with Beholder being more aggressive, multi-faceted and complex as you say, while this is all about a vibe and a groove, much more black album or Load-like, which is what I'm anticipating from this album overall (the production and Hetfield sound great, so it should be very listenable even if the songwriting doesn't quite get all the way there, but I also think that sounds smoother and more legato, which is my preference, than the last few efforts). Metallica's not going to reinvent the wheel for like the third or fourth time and write a new Master of Puppets or Justice (they sort of tried with DM and, while fun, it's also a retread the second time), but could they do something sonically and accessibly similar to the black album or the Loads? Sure, I welcome it! Give this dad his dad rock. I'm ready for it now. =)

Metallica Nerd Corner: The lyrics, particularly the refrains of "Temptation!" and "Temptation, leave me be!" are very similar to those from an unreleased song from the Presidio sessions, which is the material that was done before James first went into rehab and then got scrapped in favor of St. Anger, as famously depicted in the Some Kind of Monster documentary (in retrospect, they probably should have stuck with what they had =). So, a bit of a song redemption/reincarnation here, and they may be dipping into the vaults for inspiration (or it's just been on Hetfield's mind again with his relapse and divorce). Also, the line: "the unforgiven misbehaving." Nice. Un4given confirmed! :ganishka:

Otherwise on the topic... I've finally gotten into and have been listening to a lot of Ghost lately, digging the first EP and three albums especially (when it was closer to an actual band than a total solo enterprise), but haven't yet reconciled how I feel about Tobias Forge turning the Pop-O-Meter to 11 on the latter two albums. I sort of hated the second half of Prequelle at first, literally turned it off, but it rocked just fine on the second try, but Impera might just be a bit too much for me. We'll see, maybe I'll come around if I can convince myself it's trying to be more Van Halen than some modern glam metal pop monstrosity. I'll probably settle on Meliora being my favorite album since it's the heaviest and most guitar driven, though I don't mind their lighter fare like the If You Have Ghost covers EP. Very pretty, and my daughter will actually let me play it in the car (it even kind of reminds me of REM, he's got that Michael Stipe nasality depending on how he uses his voice, which I don't think works as well on the more recent albums either, glam metal is more throaty =).

Last edited:
So, my first reaction, starting with the preview of the intro they released, is that it's Eye of the Beholder! I was immediately calling it If Beholder Had a Son.
You crack me up hahaha! Love the deep dive for the track, and I had no clue about those lyrics resurfacing in this form. I agree on what you said about how this compares to something like a Death Magnetic. This direction is pretty straightforward/ basic and another example is how similar it is structurally with I Disappear (not the riffs but what it's trying to do). Ironically, I prefer this new song 1.25 x times faster and I can't unhear it at that speed. Tempted to share some music with you to check out (perhaps more downtuned/ a different chug/ etc) ... TEMPTATION! ..... TEMPTATION!!

Top Bottom