What is your guys opinion on Berserk getting a live action adaptation?

I’ve lost hope in berserk getting an anime adaptation but I feel live action could weirdly work if done like game of thrones. I feel the same about vagabond, it is impossible for these 2 manga’s to get anime adaptation but a live action is definelty possible.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say another animation is much more likely than a live action adaptation, actually.

As for how I feel about live action for Berserk: it would be very risky, with a high probability of ending in failure. Berserk is nothing like A Song of Ice and Fire and would be a lot more difficult to adapt faithfully. It's about a guy wielding a huge sword and shooting a cannon from his arm, accompanied by an elf, who fights evil spirits and monsters. You'd need special effects in almost every scene.

Judo

Midlands finest
Vagabond is an adaptation of the novel "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa and there already are plenty of life action movies and TV shows based on the book.
Most famous would probably be the movies with Toshiro Mifune from the 50s. I also enjoyed the 2003 NHK TV show that consists of 49 episodes.

I would say that a live action adaptation of the Golden Age arc could be technically plausible, but the worst thing to work around would be the numerous sexual scenes. I have no idea how they could approach these scenes and without ending up either cuttinf too much or being unwatcheable. Personally I'd feel bad for anyone who'd be cast for the roles of young Guts, Charlotte and Casca.

A live adaptation of Berserk would be terrible. Yeah sure, some grounded scenes in the Golden Age arc could work but Berserk can't be separated from supernatural and fictional elements: monsters, giant swords, some landscapes, etc. None of that will look good in live action. An animated adaptation is the best route.

Goat

Foolish king
The idea does not excite me at all.

I still have hopes for a good anime adaption. But considering there are already three out there (97, 16-17, movies) I consider a 'reboot' project of the anime adaptions to be extremely unlikely.

A live adaptation of Berserk would be terrible. Yeah sure, some grounded scenes in the Golden Age arc could work but Berserk can't be separated from supernatural and fictional elements: monsters, giant swords, some landscapes, etc. None of that will look good in live action. An animated adaptation is the best route.
Let's not pretend that most of popular tv shows and movies are FILLED with supernatural and fictional elements. Monsters, landscapes and fantasy fights are very much in the realm of live action works. I think that of all the things you mentioned, the most problematic thing would be the giant sword since it needs to look convincing enough for Guts to weild it, but that's pretty much it if you ask me.

Top Bottom