Thanks! + Berserk Fulltext search

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Hi there!
I'm new around here and I'm slowly but surely discovering everything you have built up in the last years, including translations, discussions, FAQs, timelines and much more...
For that, I wanted to thank you. I'm gonna dive deeper into all forum threads little by little :)

A question on the side: Is there a feature where I'm able to fulltext search all volumes/episodes of Berserk? Like e.g. I wanted to know every passage where "King Gaiseric" is mentioned. Recently, I had the urge to use a function like that more and more to read more into specific topics or find quotes which I've lost the specific episode of.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome! And thanks, the site is a community effort over the past few decades, so there's definitely a lot to explore.

Unfortunately, the current forum software isn't very great at searching. However, Google is more than capable of serving you up some site-specific search results. It's what I've used for years—just use Google like this: site:skullknight.net "King Gaiseric"

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Ah I see, you can basically search this forum for keywords like that. That is very handy, thank you.
I also just figured that I could copy paste each translation into a word document or so and then use strg+f
Or use Excel or something like that

Goat

Foolish king
To achieve that, you would need a complete transcription of the manga's dialogues into a searchable text basis. I doubt anyone has ever done something akin to that.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
To achieve that, you would need a complete transcription of the manga's dialogues into a searchable text basis. I doubt anyone has ever done something akin to that.
Well, isn't that all available here? I've seen the translations threads. Its pretty much like

"Guts: Go back!"
"Isidro: No!"
and so on. One would "just" need to copy paste that or maybe webscrape it and put it into a searchbox as you said.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
Oh ok, so one would really have to write down all the english translations from the volumes or so and type them out. That's a lot of work...

But it would be a very nice feature nevertheless. Maybe I'll give it a shot and try to figure something out.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I do seem to recall that a member of the forum here had transcribed everything that Dark Horse's Berserk has published, but I can't remember who it was. In any case, they didn't share it, so it didn't seem like something they wanted to share?

I do seem to recall that a member of the forum here had transcribed everything that Dark Horse's Berserk has published, but I can't remember who it was. In any case, they didn't share it, so it didn't seem like something they wanted to share?
That would be me. I didn't share it before out of legal reasons, since the text of Berserk, especially Dark Horse's translation, would be considered intellectual property.

But I am happy to share it with the forum (not individuals on the forum, though). I'm not sure how you'd want to use it, but I'm happy to do it. But, I should say that I only did a single pass on it. So, there are some spelling issues and such. I was intending to do a second pass and correct all of those things, but never got around to it.

So, if you'd like to talk about it, @Walter, send me a private message, and we'll figure it out.

P.S. Just to be extra clear: I don't want anything in exchange for it. I just don't want it spreading like wildfire and causing issues down the road.

TheItCrOw

Knight without Title
That would be me. I didn't share it before out of legal reasons, since the text of Berserk, especially Dark Horse's translation, would be considered intellectual property.

But I am happy to share it with the forum (not individuals on the forum, though). I'm not sure how you'd want to use it, but I'm happy to do it. But, I should say that I only did a single pass on it. So, there are some spelling issues and such. I was intending to do a second pass and correct all of those things, but never got around to it.

So, if you'd like to talk about it, @Walter, send me a private message, and we'll figure it out.

P.S. Just to be extra clear: I don't want anything in exchange for it. I just don't want it spreading like wildfire and causing issues down the road.
Just to be clear: My only intention was to use that at as a "search and find" feature. I didn't think it would cause any ethical or legal harm, since Berserk is meant to be experienced with images, not only text... If your uncomfortable with spreading it, then don't feel pressured to do so. Also, should you or @Walter need help with something, feel free to consult me as well :-)
I "started this mess" so I wanna do my part as well, should this conclude to anything. If it doesn't, no problem either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom