Serpico - Zealous
Jodo - Cool
Puck - Absent
Carcus - Asinine
Isidoro - Kid

:void:

D

darkbane

What's that, some kind of personality test? Heh.

Berserk - manga
Guts - rampage
Zodd - beast
Casca - annoying
Grifith - übermensch
Pippin - apprentice
Band of the hawk - nostalgia
Serpico - imposing
Jodo - dead
Puck - comedian
Carcus - insecure
Isidro - brat

Miyu

I'm smiling on the inside.
Guts - Trailblazer
Zodd - Immortal
Casca - Limbo
Grifith - Deception
Pippin - Gargantuan
Band of the hawk (original) - Defunct
Serpico - Loyal
Jodo - Caring
Puck - Cute!
Carcus - Asshole
Isidro - Immature

CnC

Ad Oculos
Berserk- mad
Guts - bowels
Zodd - RRRAARR
Casca - uaaaa
Grifith - GriFfith
Pippin - sumo
Band of the hawk - GRIIIFFIIIIIIIIITH!
Serpico - apostle
Jodo - :judo:
Judo - poor
Puck - hockey
Carcus - dead
Isidro - saru

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Berserk-masterpiece
Guts-struggler
Zodd-warrior
Casca-tragic (I'm starting to love her more and more!)
Grifith-savior
Pippin-silent
Band of the hawk-underdogs
Serpico-cunning
Judo-wiseman
Puck -partner
Carcus- misunderstood
Isidro-developing

you forgot one that Aaz gave me yesterday
Rakshas- gracious

Mo

The Warrior
That's why Berserk is "Epic" as someone put it - it's the same story line with the same characters, yet interpreted differently by different personalities. For example Grifith; it's interesting to see that some define him as a deceiver and others a leader. If you think about it, what wrong did he do? Wasn't his army (The band of the Hawk) willing to die for him? He took no more than what he had right to... Furthermore, he probably SAVED more lives in the long-run by accepting the offer made by the demons. He did have some sins, but, his intent up to that point was solid.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mo said:
Wasn't his army (The band of the Hawk) willing to die for him? He took no more than what he had right to...

It doesn't really work like that you know. His men were very loyal, but it doesn't entitle him to sacrifice them like cattle. It's not like they were asked their permission beforehand either.

Mo said:
Furthermore, he probably SAVED more lives in the long-run by accepting the offer made by the demons.

Hahah, I doubt that. "An era of darkness"... That's what he's bringing to the world.

Mo

The Warrior
I see where you're coming from; his men weren't cattle, however, they WERE willing to die for him - which they did.

As for saving more lives in the long-run; the last issue I read was 27 or 28 - that's when he was re-assembling the band of the hawk... so you would know more about that than I.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Mo said:
I see where you're coming from; his men weren't cattle, however, they WERE willing to die for him - which they did.

Die for him, yes. But I don't think they were willing to be killed by him

Mo said:
As for saving more lives in the long-run; the last issue I read was 27 or 28 - that's when he was re-assembling the band of the hawk... so you would know more about that than I.

Griffith's actions are selfish. He wants his own kingdom. He will kill anyone that gets in his way. He's hardly doing this for Midlands sake.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mo said:

Well if you want to take it that way, nowhere does anybody say "I'd die for Griffith!", it's just what people are assuming because they've been very loyal through every hardship. Now remember that Gaston and the others were ready to follow Guts after Griffith's rescue, they didn't look like they wanted to spend their lives with an incapacitated Griffith. They didn't look too happy as they died either, and Guts' feelings show well enough that at least one person (and the most important one at that) wasn't willing to die for him.

That doesn't lower your point about the series being great though. :serpico:

Mo said:

Well, it's all over the books you know, he's the Hawk of Darkness and all, part of the God Hand and following the Idea of Evil's scheme. No big deal anyway.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mo said:
however, they WERE willing to die for him - which they did.
Yeah, one of my favorite scenes is when Pippin loyally jumps into the mouth of an apostle showing his true devotion to Griffith. Or when Judo bares his chest to another apostle proving his loyalty. Casca's willingness to be raped for Griffith was also very moving. Strangely, Carcus ran quite quickly AWAY from the apostles... what a cad!

Mo

The Warrior
Aazealh, your points are well made, however, just being part of the band of the hawk (or any army for that matter) you must be willing to die for your leader. The rule is to protect the General at any cost, including death - The question is weather the general is supposed to be willing to die for his men - Griffith wasn't, but, what are their lives for a King of that status's? All those people that died along the path of Griffith fulfilling his dream would have been for nothing if he hadn't sacraficed just a few more...did he do the most humane thing? Of course not, but, Griffith didn't have much of a choice....it was either his life or his comrads which arguabely are supposed to die protecting him...even if they weren't willing to die for him, if someone held a gun up to your head and said your life or your best friends, who would you pick? A lot of us would say "I'd never betray my friend", but one never knows until put in the situation, (even if at one point he saved your life)... Grifith was only fulfilling his destiny that so many died for - I'm still not completley convinced that he did the WRONG thing - it was pretty messed up, but I'm not sure if it was down right WRONG - that's an aspect of Berserk that I really like; good and evil aren't clearly defined (To the point I read anyway). Demons are the same as Gods, Apostles are probably the execption, but aren't they just fulfilling the God hand's bidding? God (the real God) has used people and disasters to fulfill his bidding as history has shown; does that make God evil? On another hand, my theory is that Gats is the son of the Devil (with his luck); in a twisted way Evil is better than good (If God's/Demons are supposed to be good's Representatives, then what is evil? Berserk has no definite barriers, it's a lot like real life in that manner - that's really one of it's most appealing attributes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nice big essay there, but you still haven't talked your way out of this one I'm afraid.

Mo said:
Griffith didn't have much of a choice....it was either his life or his comrads
He had a choice. The God Hand wouldn't have killed Griffith if he'd denied their offer. Rather, he would be forced to live "in the ruins of a dream." Something he couldn't bear.

Regarding Evil in Berserk. It exists, and is clearly defined. What you're going on about is probably Miura's stance on morals, and Guts anti-hero nature.

does that make God evil?
Well, the "god" in Berserk is THE IDEA OF EVIL so...

Herald of Yama

"It is pure Potential"
Guts-Pain
Zodd-Death
Casca-Life
Griffith-Dream/Nightmare
BotH-glory
Pippin-strength
Serpico-servant
Judo-witty
Puck-Puck(Midsummer Night's Dream, version 1.5)
Carcus-Whiner
Isidro-Punk

Mo

The Warrior
Walter,
Live in the condition that he was in - even a peasant would have chosen death over that. I suppose witches and Guts are supposed to be the epitome of good.... your argument makes no sense unless it's more articulately defined.  God is not all evil; if you're talking about the supreme being/s that's supposed to control everything, then yes it is portrayed as evil in Berserk, the reality of it though is HOW you define God.  You see, you can't slip anything past God, he is the creator. If God was clearly defined in berserk as inherently evil, then good wouldn't stand a chance for God created the Devil and the earth and can just as easily destroy them.  In Berserk terms though, if God was inherently evil, then he is very limited as his apostles are being destroyed by a mere creation - a mortal being...God is everlasting and eternal - nothing can stand against him because if God looses in the end, then the world ends as he creates/sustains life. Unless of course God and good are not clearly defined in berserk, which takes us to my original point.  

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mo said:
Live in the condition that he was in - even a peasant would have chosen death over that.
Be that as it may, you claimed Griffith had no choice and would have died.

I suppose witches and Guts are supposed to be the epitome of good.... your argument makes no sense unless it's more articulately defined.
The witches that we've seen thus far in the series seem pretty characteristically 'good' to me. Furthermore, the ideology of "knowledge" Miura associates with natural magic users (Flora, Schierke more to come I'm sure...) seems to be at polar odds with the demonic magic of "exploit human weaknesses" associated with God Hand and Apostles.

God is not all evil; if you're talking about the supreme being/s that's supposed to control everything, then yes it is portrayed as evil in Berserk, the reality of it though is HOW you define God. You see, you can't slip anything past God, he is the creator.
... I guess I define "god" as The Idea of Evil (as it declares itself in ep 83), which was created by man. I honestly think you're a bit off your rocker in the rest of your post.

Mo

The Warrior
I think you're missing the point, Walter; the whole point was that Grifith had a choice to sacrafice his comrads and weather or not he made the right CHOICE - the keyword here is choice. His life was pretty much over in that condition he was in, hence my reference to him "loosing his life to save theirs".

That second paragaph makes no sense to me, I usually skip the parts with all the weird explanations for magic - in any case, the witches are thought to be good, but what is good? What's good's purpose???

Bottom line is without GOD there won't be good or evil - again if we are talking about God the creator of life and death, then what is good's purpose in Berserk; to destroy God? What is evil's purposes in Berserk? Up to the part I read - I was either REALLY missing the point, or those aspect weren't yet defined.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mo said:
I think you're missing the point, Walter
Right...

That second paragaph makes no sense to me, I usually skip the parts with all the weird explanations for magic
Then you'll forgive me for skipping over the vast majority of your block of blather 2 posts earlier.

What is evil's purposes in Berserk? Up to the part I read - I was either REALLY missing the point, or those aspect weren't yet defined.
To manipulate human affairs... And "good"? To resist. These definitons are implicit in character's actions throughout the series.

You obviously have no interest in learning or in listening to reason. So, I'm stopping. So please, NO MO!

PS: You should probably read the manga.

Mo

The Warrior
Walter said:
Right...
Then you'll forgive me for skipping over the vast majority of your block of blather 2 posts earlier. 
To manipulate human affairs... And "good"? To resist. These definitons are implicit in character's actions throughout the series.

You obviously have no interest in learning or in listening to reason.  So, I'm stopping.  So please, NO MO! 

PS: You should probably read the manga.

Believe or not (I'm sure you believe it), that you're way further into this manga than I am, and you've probably spent waaaay more time than me analyzing it; that being said, I believe it's you that's not listening to reason and just seeing it the way you want to see it - if you read any book or watch any movie, and you take a survey on the plot (supposedly the most clearly defined aspect of any storyline), you'll get several different answers.  That being said, in Berserk's case, weather or not/ what is the definition of Good, God, and Evil is entirely up to the reader - you think they are clearly defined, but that is but a mere opinion; you also think Grifith made the wrong choice (or not), by sacraficing his friend; that's up to you - there is no right or wrong answer. That's the beauty of good theatre/storytelling - one sees it as the teller is telling it, but if the teller tells the story in a manner that is somewhat neutral, then the reader/audience can decide what to think instead of the writer making the decision for them. There is no good guy and bad guy in berserk - it's but a mere story being told which you can preceive whichever way you like... That's the point I'm making with this thread and it is PROVEN through the definitions that each INDIVIDUAL gives for the given characters...Like you said, I'm done here - NO MO!  :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mo said:
however, just being part of the band of the hawk (or any army for that matter) you must be willing to die for your leader.

I don't think so, no.

Mo said:
what are their lives for a King of that status's?

A king? Griffith still isn't king.

Mo said:
Griffith didn't have much of a choice...

Not an excuse of any kind, not justifying anything, and like Walter said, he had the choice. He lost something that day, and by the end of the series he'll regret it.

Mo said:
I'm still not completley convinced that he did the WRONG thing - it was pretty messed up, but I'm not sure if it was down right WRONG

Oh, it was. He's evil by nature now, and he's the one that triggered the era of darkness that's supposed to doom humanity as a whole. No good part in it. Think of him as the antichrist if that helps you.

Mo said:
God (the real God)

No proof of God's existence so please don't try to use it as an argument, especially since it's not related. We're talking about a graphic novel here, not religion in our world.

Mo said:
On another hand, my theory is that Guts is the son of the Devil (with his luck)

There's no "Devil" in the Christian sense in Berserk, so that's just impossible.

Mo said:
in a twisted way Evil is better than good (If God's/Demons are supposed to be good's Representatives

But they aren't, they call themselves evil.

Mo said:
Live in the condition that he was in - even a peasant would have chosen death over that.

Vargas didn't choose death, he was clinging to life. Assuming things just doesn't produce valid arguments.

Mo said:
I suppose witches and Guts are supposed to be the epitome of good

There doesn't necessarily need to be a force to oppose Evil. And of course, Guts and witches like Flora are on the side of Good. Guts is the hero, he saves people and kills bad guys. To be more precise, the four elemental kings could be the opposition of the Idea of Evil. They aren't necessarily Good, but they are Pure. Pure elements, free of any corruption. That's why it's interesting.

Mo said:
God is not all evil; if you're talking about the supreme being/s that's supposed to control everything, then yes it is portrayed as evil in Berserk

So what's your point? The Idea of Evil calls itself evil, I don't think there's anything more to say about it.

Mo said:
the reality of it though is HOW you define God. You see, you can't slip anything past God, he is the creator. If God was clearly defined in berserk as inherently evil

The Idea of Evil describes itself as evil in nature, even more than that. And it clearly defines itself. Besides its not "the creator". Don't use a Judeo-Christian point of view to judge how things work in Berserk, it's set in a different universe with different rules.

Mo said:
if God looses in the end, then the world ends as he creates/sustains life.

It's not the case in Berserk, the Idea of Evil doesn't sustain life. I think you should re-read this part of the manga, because your point is totally beside the question (no offense of course).

Mo said:
Up to the part I read - I was either REALLY missing the point

I'm afraid this is the case here buddy. :-\

Mo said:
That being said, in Berserk's case, weather or not/ what is the definition of Good, God, and Evil is entirely up to the reader

No, they're rather clearly defined and implied in the manga.

PS: Better stop here I think guys, the off topic discussion is getting quite lengthy.

Berserk is a fantasy opera. As Tolkien's LotR is one. Still they are not epic in essense, as Homer's Iliad is for example.

Mo said:
The rule is to protect the General at any cost, including death - The question is weather the general is supposed to be willing to die for his men - Griffith wasn't, but, what are their lives for a King of that status's?

Casca, when she meets with Guts to heal his wounds discusses on this matter.
Each of them is a little flame, that has the possibility to unite with other flames to form a big one, named Griffith.
This doesn't mean though that Griffith has the right to blow out and kill each individual little flame if he has not the possibility to exist any more.

Aazealh said:
Vargas didn't choose death, he was clinging to life.

Out of topic but did Vargas summon the GH? I don't remember this part.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
xechnao said:
This doesn't mean though that Griffith has the right to blow out and kill each individual little flame if he has not the possibility to exist any more.

Exactly.

xechnao said:
Out of topic but did Vargas summon the GH? I don't remember this part.

Nope, he kept the Count's beherit but never used it. He was captured and executed. We later see him coming for the Count as a part of the Vortex of Souls.

Top Bottom