Volume 42 release

resize_image.jpg
Release date is September 29, 2023. There's also a special edition that includes a Berserker Armor Guts bust figure.

I don't really care if the continuation has its own visual identity, it'[s probably for the better that the artists play to their strengths (though the armor is probably too blue, it'd be compositionally sounder if Guts was darker in the center). I'd rather take offense to the fact this is "Volume 42" personally lol.

Not gonna rant about the cover cause that would be a waste of time.

My biggest question is if they have actually changed anything on the cover to make it clear this isn't Miura's writing and drawing anymore.
Probably only keeping Miura as the original Author.

Do you guys have any Idea which chapter will be included in 42 ?
Would it be from 365 to 372 ?
Or even 371, given the cover they made with griffith getting away ?

Mmm this seems so short for a full volume v_v

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Garish.

Berserk by Lisa Frank
Yeah, you called it. Sneak preview of the insert poster:

lisa_frank.JPG

Do you guys have any Idea which chapter will be included in 42 ?
Would it be from 365 to 372 ?
Or even 371, given the cover they made with griffith getting away ?

Mmm this seems so short for a full volume v_v
Likely 365–373. If so, that’s 9 eps, which is the longest since v38 back in 2016.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
So Griffith dye his hair pink. Cool, cool...

Turquoise Swordsman vs The Pink Falcon :iva:

My biggest question is if they have actually changed anything on the cover to make it clear this isn't Miura's writing and drawing anymore.
Probably only keeping Miura as the original Author.

You can see it at the bottom. Miura credited for the original work, Mori & Studio Gaga credited for the rest. Like in the magazine. But it's not emphasized, obviously.

I'd rather take offense to the fact this is "Volume 42" personally lol.

Sure, same here, but that ship sailed as soon as they announced they would keep numbering the episodes as if nothing had changed. That plus the fact the volume was announced months ago. The only new information is the cover.

I'm just gonna copy my discord rant because fuck this cover:

"Wtf did they do to the colors? This looks like something out of deviantart. Guts' armor should NEVER be blued steel. Why are Griffith and the beast PINK? PINK???

Hell, even if I let that go it's still just stock standard imagery from those chapters. Battle ready Guts, Griffith holding Casca, and the Beast floating...menacingly. All awkwardly crammed together with no flow or interesting background like an avengers poster.

Already thought of something better. Use a silver glint of MOONLIGHT to reflect off Guts' armor and reveal Griffith. Either in the background as a haze or connected like threads by his hair. Just anything visually interesting.

Or have the beast rise up in a sea of darkness, overtaking the cover, and swallow Guts whole if you want to play up that angle. Maybe even incorporate it into the armor's cowl if you want more room."

The worst we ever got from Miura was bland/uninteresting. Not whatever this rainbow mcu schlock is. Just an oversaturated, featureless mess.

Okay you know what I take it back. The more I look at it the more I want to stuff it into PS and turn down the saturation by a million.

Here's a fan re colored version and it looks way better than the OG

Last edited:

Kompozinaut

Sylph Sword

Here's a fan re colored version and it looks way better than the OG
Wow, that is a massive improvement over the original.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ignoring the colors, it's a disappointing cover design, and only in one small aspect is it even thematically relevant. Of course, not all of Miura's covers directly relate to the volume's content, but most do.

This one is a collage, so there's plenty of opportunity to squeeze in glimpses of scenes. But though the majority of this volume's content is spent on the collapse of the island and the aftermath, none of these events are depicted. The only directly relevant bit is Griffith holding Casca in one quadrant of the cover. There's equal emphasis on the Beast, even though it hardly played any role in this volume (its absence from the fight was felt more than the re-run of its taunt to Guts in the ship's hold). Finally there's Guts facing something off the page, looking not even close to as desperate as he was in his fight against Griffith.

Just a series of missed opportunities. And yes, the colors.

There's a new episode coming September 22.
Thanks! I've added the news to the official 374 thread which is where discussion of that is encouraged.

The first time I saw this cover I was like "This can't be it, Is this fan art?" but no it is real. After sitting on it for this week it's definitely better than the previous one for volume 41. The colors even if overly bright long as they don't continue like this it's fine for once in a while. My biggest issue is with the empty space and lack of direction. Like they just smacked all the familiar characters on the cover, the only ones missing are Zodd and Skull Knight, defiantly they wouldn't have saved this cover. :ganishka:

Also if they wanted to give Guts armor a blue hue they also hued the dragon slayer but not his canon arm. Like is the canon arm less matt than the berserker armor? At least a victory for Puck for getting back on the cover since 2003. (vol 25)

Top Bottom