Who plays RPGs? What's your favorite?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Re: Who play's RPG's? What's your favorite?

Manji said:
...Quest 64

UGH! Yikes, good call! I erased that game from my memory banks. This is what I mean when I say the FF8 "worst pick" is relative, because it's obviously not in the same league of awful as Quest 64. :guts:

I'm trying to think of something really bad but now I can't stop reliving my rental of Quest 64.

Re: Who play's RPG's? What's your favorite?

Griffith No More! said:
UGH! Yikes, good call! I erased that game from my memory banks. This is what I mean when I say the FF8 "worst pick" is relative, because it's obviously not in the same league of awful as Quest 64. :guts:
Try Beyond the Beyond, the PS' first RPG (at least I think it was) was about as abysmal if not on par with Quest 64 for me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I tried to remember all the dead end rentals I made as a kid, but this is a tough cookie. It's tough to remember forgettable games... UGH Beyond the Beyond... I remember the PAIN of getting Samson's strength back. UGH!!! THANKS A LOT. I'd forgotten...

One of my favorite RPGs, and my very first, was Lunar for the Sega CD. However, over the weekend I bought Lunar Legends for the GBA, a portable remake of it. And I have to say, it's up there with the worst of the worst so far (I'm at the WeIrD WoOdS). Maybe I'm just a purist, but it's as if they kept all the embarassing and frustrating aspects of the game and lost all the charm.

PS: Anyone who lists Earthbound as one of the worst RPGs gets insta-perma-banned btw. Just a heads up.

Walter said:
Yeah, I tried to remember all the dead end rentals I made as a kid, but this is a tough cookie. It's tough to remember forgettable games... UGH Beyond the Beyond... I remember the PAIN of getting Samson's strength back. UGH!!! THANKS A LOT. I'd forgotten...
Hey, I'm the one having to remember SaGa, Fatal, Quest and Beyond the Beyond all in one night. No small feat.
Walter said:
One of my favorite RPGs, and my very first, was Lunar for the Sega CD. However, over the weekend I bought Lunar Legends for the GBA, a portable remake of it. And I have to say, it's up there with the worst of the worst so far (I'm at the WeIrD WoOdS).
The Sega CD one is insta-classic, though wasn't it remade on something?...Not the GBA terror,...I think on PS? not sure though.
Walter said:
PS: Anyone who lists Earthbound as one of the worst RPGs gets insta-perma-banned btw. Just a heads up.
Impossible, but I'm hoping someone in here has the testicular fortitude.

Griffith

Manji said:
Try Beyond the Beyond, the PS' first RPG (at least I think it was) was about as abysmal if not on par with Quest 64 for me.

Actually, I kind of want to replay Quest64 now. I like the idea of a cult of underground Quest 64 players that adore the game and say things like, "It's really not that bad. Under-appreciated, revolutionary for its time." www.quest64.net? =)

http://speeddemosarchive.com/Quest64.html

As for Lunar, yeah, Sega CD is classic, Playstation remake is great, and the gameboy port... yeah, leaves you wanting. So, don't judge old Lunar on that, Wally; try to get Silver Star Story Complete if you never played it.

I have to go with FFVII as the most over rated, but the overall worst... Either SaGa Frontier or perhaps that PSX RPG where you had to breed bugs from cocoons.  I can't remember the name, but I rented it and it was horrible.

For what it was worth, I still have a copy of Quest 64, and I didn't think it was THAT bad. 
EDIT: It was called Jade Cocoon. http://www.gamecritics.com/review/jade_cocoon/main.php

I was so hoping the www.quest64.net worked, there's no higher point when people have to go "It's not really that bad!"
Perhaps the same could be said of ALL things!
you know, like torture....and death...and catching the plague...

And yeah, silver story is what I was thinking of. Last time I saw it was 2-3 years back and ran for $50, so I have no idea what it goes for now.

you had to breed bugs from cocoons.
I can't remember the name, but I rented it and it was horrible.
Jade Cacoon?
edit:caught your edit.
bph said:
For what it was worth, I still have a copy of Quest 64, and I didn't think it was THAT bad.

MUAHAHAHAHA

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, Im familiar with Lunar: SSSC. I even pre-ordered it and got a T-Shirt and a little cloth map or some shit. I just lost it over the years, and since I don't have a PS2 or even a PSX anymore, this lesser GBA remake is all I have ... :judo:

I actually just found my copy of the Sega CD version hmmm...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Quest 64 isn't a bad game, but I got it marked down at BlockBuster a few years back for $6, so I thought I'd try it. It's not the worst game ever or anything, just a really bad game, and I think its constant mention as "worst game of all time" would be better directed elsewhere, simply because it wasn't trying to be a great game (and failing) in the first place. It may well be the worst RPG made, but it didn't piss me off as much as other games. I just became bored with it and didn't play it anymore. Now that goddamned draw system in FFVIII, on the other hand...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I remember a little gem from back in the SNES days.. actually two! Paladins Quest and Robotrek!

I loved those games! Oh hell, throw in 7th Saga as well!

bph said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Quest 64 isn't a bad game, but I got it marked down at BlockBuster a few years back for $6, so I thought I'd try it. It's not the worst game ever or anything, just a really bad game, and I think its constant mention as "worst game of all time" would be better directed elsewhere
Well the topic we got on was RPGs, which to a degree is what Quest 64 bills itself as, and on that category it fails miserably. I would agree its not "the worst game ever", simple mentions of Atari's "E.T" should draw terror in comparison to Q64.
bph said:
that goddamned draw system in FFVIII, on the other hand...
The entire battle system was flawed, I really could give a damn about the basic "draw" system or "MAYBE I'M A LION!", or "whatever", it's the fact the entire fucking game till crucial end game moments or Omega(Even then)revolved around "Summon, Summon, Summon, Summon...hey, we figured you guys got tired of "attack attack attack!"

Griffith

Well, I tried playing Quest 64 again and it took about 60 seconds to get over my curiosity. First, I ended eup skipping the opening dialogue by the old man because it just went on and on, all I read was something about your father, Eletale book and if something (probably the book) gets in the hands of evil the land will fall into darkness (never heard that one before). I didn't even catch the main character's name, I don't even know if I was supposed to name him or what. Then, I go down some stairs, go down some others stairs, reach a library, talk to some woman, can't even stand to read a word she says (even the text boxes are ugly as sin) and shortly after turned the game off. And that's basically my FAQ for replaying Quest 64.

As for FF8, I barely used the draw, as soon as I could I got an item that reduced random battles (eventually I think I could even stop them), and for bosses I'd just SUMMON them to death. If I was too weak, then I'd remove the items and then random battle my way to enough power to beat the boss, which didn't take long. This probably wasn't how one was supposed to play, but I never read the manual and hate in-game explanations; this is just what came naturally (on that note, the first time I played FFVII, I didn't know about equipping Materia until the battle with Rufus on the Shinra building, which is about as far as I was able to get using that method =).
Anyway, while it didn't entertain me on a gameplay level, my reasons for disliking FF8 are more for the story elements. I was in high school, so a game about being in some lame school wasn't such a great "fantasy" to me, didn't like the characters (Laguna was the most tolerable character in the game named after a California location, but I think he sucked later on), and as I kept waiting for it "to take off", the final straw; when everyone's shared origin story is reveal... ugh, yuck. It's even more ridiculous looking back on it today.

My all time favorite is Knights of Xentar (aka Dragon Knights 3)
Its a FF style RPG with a lot of adult themes, some nudity and the funniest dialogue / story, ever put in a game. :guts:
If someone wants to try it (I believe the Underdogs have it)

You know, one great thing is that it's now been almost 10 years since playing all of those great SNES RPGs, and I've forgotten just enough of them to make them "new" again.  The thing that really annoys me today, is that people (FFXII fans) say that they hate traditional turn based combat, overworld maps, and traditional leveling systems, but when you take all of that away from an RPG it starts sounding a little bit like...well...Zelda. 

Oh yeah, I remember renting FF Mystic Quest on my SNES, expecting it to be of the same level as FFIV and FFVI...one of the biggest letdowns I'd ever experienced, until after waiting forever between VI and VII.  And then I thought, okay, this was just a bump on the road, VIII is sure to be amazing, and THAT was an even bigger letdown.  And Griffith, I had the exact same experience; I believe I was a freshman or sophomore in High School when VIII came out, and I remember thinking that if I wanted annoying high school angst, I could get that for free. 

But hey, at least the Tales games have been good lately.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
bph said:
But hey, at least the Tales games have been good lately.
Jesus... they come out with like a new one every fucking month over here... I see them all the time on TV with their commercials. They are mostly starting to come out for the DS now though. Which mind you are still hard as hell to get! ><

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
For Super Paper Mario fans: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/r8pj/scoop/index.html

3 short videos on the official Japanese website. Funny stuff I think, I like the 2D/3D concept, it's good they pushed it further than they had in Super Mario Sunshine.

bph said:
The thing that really annoys me today, is that people (FFXII fans) say that they hate traditional turn based combat, overworld maps, and traditional leveling systems, but when you take all of that away from an RPG it starts sounding a little bit like...well...Zelda.

I disagree, you can take all that away and still have a mighty fine RPG, not an action/adventure game. As sorry as I am to say it, this remark reeks of narrow-mindedness and lack of imagination to me.

Aaz, I would change my opinion if someone does it well. I'm just a pessimist on that front, and if I find an RPG that does break away from those traditional features and does something to improve upon them, you'll find no complaints from me.

What I was really trying to say is that making those changes simply for the sake of mixing up the genre, i.e. with the Final Fantasy series, without any justification, annoys me. Yet, fans praise them simply because they are loyal to the series/genre. This is actually why I enjoy Paper Mario so much, because these changes are organic and fit the series (as opposed to making FFXI online or a pseudo real time battle system in XII). Typically though, the major RPG developers just decide to rip off some really original ideas from action/adventure games rather than actually work toward innovation in their own genre. Don't get me wrong, I'm still an RPG fanboy, but the genre has been quite stale of late, and when one of the major developers attempts innovation, they usually just end up doing something that Zelda has already done. Just my take.

No .hack// series mention oh well. Although the first 4 probably coulda been summed up in one game, they were enough to be amazing. And now the GU series is starting up....and I'm way behind @_@

It's strange to hear that something like, FFVII or FFVI are "Old School", time just moves on I guess.
But on topic, KH 1/2 and Vagrant story are probably my favorites.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Zelz said:
I loved Vagrant Story, I havn't finished it though. Maybe I should find the time to do so some day.
I've tried to beat it several different occasions, most recently last month, and each time I'm overcome with the tediousness of it all. It starts out with a HUGE BANG and hen is just a muffled, silent fart for the next 10-15 hours. Still, it was a major technical achievement on the PS1 at the time, and still today.

bph see Aazealh's statement to get what I've been trying to tell you the past few pages, that's not really the case of things.

Even in FFXII, the battle system is still the same active time you've been playing for years, in fact, it showcases the same title from "ATB" just with a little nice "Dynamic" thrown in for ADB. I don't expect everyone to like changes in a series, but again, that's just a filtered way of viewing them, and I didn't find XII or any recent Square game to mimic any action adventure game such as Zelda, SoTC or Okami. Again, some people think the Zelda formula itself has gone stale and needs to innovate to survive, and I'm sure you'll find just as many people who prefer LttP over OoT or TP as much as there are VI-VII arguments.

As for Vagrant Story, I had the same problem Walter. Vagrant Story started out fantastic and kinda whimpered down, but I liked the ending segments of the game.

Eh, even if your'e right, I still don't like FFXII, so that's the end of the story for me because no amount of arguing will change that. I really thought Vagrant Story was underrated, and it was so short that I didn't mind the lag in the middle of the game.

Again, I'm fine with that. As for Vagrant Story, well I think it was "rated/reviewed' just fine, but I think the major problem was it slipping over/under the radar or might have seemed too encompassing to people who expected a different type of game.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Manji said:
Again, I'm fine with that. As for Vagrant Story, well I think it was "rated/reviewed' just fine, but I think the major problem was it slipping over/under the radar or might have seemed too encompassing to people who expected a different type of game.
I actually think the creators of the game thought it was cooler than it actually was :carcus:

Walter said:
I actually think the creators of the game thought it was cooler than it actually was :carcus:
Perhaps the same could be said of all developers!

Meh, imo it was yet another budget-induced game that tends to become uneven at some point as the developer realizes ideas=|fruition, but I still think by end game it had enough redeeming qualities to more than make up for the lagging mid section.

Top Bottom