Your most hated words

I hate "bruh". I hate "based" but it's become like a parasitic word, because I used it a lot when I liked it...
"Fam" - why do people clip some words? "Mid" is another one. Really pisses me off.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
"No cap" keeps throwing me off when I hear it. I have to think about it each time (do they mean lowercase...? :ganishka: ), all of which probably means that I'm getting old.

The new phrase "Npc"I remember it was a meme a couple years ago but not really spoken about now its used by everyone(gen z) to describe anything that moves even if its something normal.

"No cap" keeps throwing me off when I hear it. I have to think about it each time (do they mean lowercase...? :ganishka: ), all of which probably means that I'm getting old.
No cap means that they agree with what your saying their pretty much saying "for real' "Agreed".Its used to convey truth i never say it tho sounds a bit too cringe.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
No cap means that they agree with what your saying their pretty much saying "for real' "Agreed".Its used to convey truth i never say it tho sounds a bit too cringe.
Yeah I know but the "cap" part isn't intuitive in its meaning in the same way as "For real" or "no lie." That's what throws me off.

I dislike general terminologies that are associated with film making, as they seem pretentious to my ears, like they're trying too hard to sound sophisticated and technical. They include:

1. Motion Picture - instead of just saying film or movie.
2. Principal Photography - this basically means filming, but of course they need a fancy term for it.

Other than that, the word I can think off the top of my head would be the dreaded O word. I mean, Opinion. It's well and fine in its correct contexts, but it has also become a shield to hide behind for so many people, a get-out-of-jail card to use when you've run out of arguments to present. "Well, this is my opinion and if you don't accept it you're a so-and-so."

Last edited:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's well and fine in its correct contexts, but it has also become a shield to hide behind for so many people, a get-out-of-jail card to use when you've run out of arguments to present. "Well, this is my opinion and if you don't accept it you're a so-and-so."
Hey man, "I'm just sayin!" :troll:

I dislike general terminologies that are associated with film making, as they seem pretentious to my ears, like they're trying too hard to sound sophisticated and technical. They include:

2. Principal Photography - this basically means filming, but of course they need a fancy term for it.

Other than that, the word I can think off the top of my head would be the dreaded O word. I mean, Opinion. It's well and fine in its correct contexts, but it has also become a shield to hide behind for so many people, a get-out-of-jail card to use when you've run out of arguments to present. "Well, this is my opinion and if you don't accept it you're a so-and-so."
Every art has its technicalities and its associated language, it's not about being pretentious, it's about conveying to the initiates the best way the meaning of what they're doing.

-----
Edit: Wow, having a read through the older posts, it makes me feel like 2016 was simultaneously 7 years ago and 70 years ago.

-----
Edit: Also, another word or phrase I dislike is "YAAAAS, QUEEN, SLAY!" with usually an emoji of a high heel.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any particular words that annoy me too much - similar to it though, the language of internet discourse feels like it has devolved into these short, sassy "gotcha" comments and clapbacks rather than folks actually saying what they mean. Even if it was idiots arguing on reddit or 4chan, they at least took the time to write out their thoughts in a coherent fashion. It seems like character limits and most internet entertainment being shortform conent nowadays has altered the paradigm such that if you type out what would now be seen as a long comment, you're either ignored altogether or just get a few responses of five words or less, and it's all people saying stuff like "lol ur [insert insult]" when you're just writing out your thoughts.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Even if it was idiots arguing on reddit or 4chan, they at least took the time to write out their thoughts in a coherent fashion. It seems like character limits and most internet entertainment being shortform conent nowadays has altered the paradigm such that if you type out what would now be seen as a long comment, you're either ignored altogether or just get a few responses of five words or less, and it's all people saying stuff like "lol ur [insert insult]" when you're just writing out your thoughts.

I understand what you mean, and I agree that the general level of discourse on social media is quite bad, however from personal experience things weren't all that different 25 years ago. Some people took the time to discuss things in depth, but I'm sure that's still the case in places, and there was already a lot of low quality content being generated even back during the Usenet days.

I think the size and number of communities is what makes the biggest difference. Before, people joined definite places that had regulars and moderators and a history, so you were expected to make an effort to fit in that particular place, and if you didn't, you'd get run out. There was value in making your place somewhere, like moving to a new town and finding a group of friends. And it was usually not exclusive, meaning everyone could join.

By centralizing discourse, social media has altered those dynamics. You have millions of people within reach and vice versa, but no one particularly cares about what others have to say. They're mostly there to broadcast their own opinion, and/or to inattentively browse an endless flow of content while waiting for something. Interesting groups might still exist, but they're private. The fact people mostly post from their phones is another difference. No time to write long missives, and it's inconvenient anyway.

I understand what you mean, and I agree that the general level of discourse on social media is quite bad, however from personal experience things weren't all that different 25 years ago. Some people took the time to discuss things in depth, but I'm sure that's still the case in places, and there was already a lot of low quality content being generated even back during the Usenet days.

I think the size and number of communities is what makes the biggest difference. Before, people joined definite places that had regulars and moderators and a history, so you were expected to make an effort to fit in that particular place, and if you didn't, you'd get run out. There was value in making your place somewhere, like moving to a new town and finding a group of friends. And it was usually not exclusive, meaning everyone could join.

By centralizing discourse, social media has altered those dynamics. You have millions of people within reach and vice versa, but no one particularly cares about what others have to say. They're mostly there to broadcast their own opinion, and/or to inattentively browse an endless flow of content while waiting for something. Interesting groups might still exist, but they're private. The fact people mostly post from their phones is another difference. No time to write long missives, and it's inconvenient anyway.
I never thought of it that way! I wasn't around for the internet of 25 years ago, so I likely have tunnel vision since I didn't start browsing forums for the purposes of meaningful discussion until around 2017 or so. Instagram and Twitter started to really take off with my generation (and Reddit a bit before), so I went from reading through old forum threads to participating in conversations on the aforementioned platforms and being severely disappointed with how terrible they are for actually communicating. It makes me happy that places like this still exist :)

I never thought of it that way! I wasn't around for the internet of 25 years ago, so I likely have tunnel vision since I didn't start browsing forums for the purposes of meaningful discussion until around 2017 or so. Instagram and Twitter started to really take off with my generation (and Reddit a bit before), so I went from reading through old forum threads to participating in conversations on the aforementioned platforms and being severely disappointed with how terrible they are for actually communicating. It makes me happy that places like this still exist :)
tbh I have not used forums since 2012 when I was on a fan dbz project game forum. Those were good times, its really hard to find a forum that interests u, at least in my case...but when you do its nice to have that around when in need of some posting/shitposting
never really used reddit other than to browse for something or view news

I have another one the word "rizz" i remember two weeks ago i locked out my school another person was trying to go in as well so we went back in through the gym and a bunch of hoopers were saying i got w rizz and stuff like that it was funny but mad awkward and embarrassing lol.

Since English is not my native language, I can't really say I hate any trendy word or buzzword or w/e.
But, translating slang into Spanish, like basado, chinposting, bocho (as in bait/b8), ohhh, that really ticks me off.

I get what you're saying but isn't a movie literally a motion picture?
So with the same logic filming is photography?

In the end that's just my opinion though and if you don't accept it you're close-minded. :ganishka:

Top Bottom