Halo 3

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
You're just playing dumb because it turns out you didn't have a point.

And you're conceding because you would rather have a baseless argument than provide any substantial evidence.

Aazealh said:
Why? Because you say so? You're going to go far like that. It was in and of itself a useless comment, especially in reply to my post. You realize it didn't contradict what I said, right?

I'm not the only one.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/top10/14.html
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6091340/p-2.html
... you can look up other top ten lists in your own time. These aren't the reports of a game being hyped due to a lack of competition. My point remains that your comment about there being no competition on the platform is wrong, and is still wrong. Now everything you've said after, yea _THAT_ is useless.

Aazealh said:
Well it's not really what you said, but I'll gladly hear some details on all the competitors Halo has had during the Xbox' launch. I'm also all ears about how the fact it sold with nearly half the systems at first and ended up being the console's ultimate "killer app" did not make it likely that its sequels would sell well, as evidenced by the history of franchises selling better than new IPs in the video game industry.

Jesus, I'm having serious doubts about your ability to read here. Read my bloody post. In response to your response to Scorpio's review of it being a shinier new Halo, you claimed that it was a lack of competition in the FPS console market that makes it (Halo 3) a success. Thats where you're wrong.
It may have been the case that there wasn't enough FPS competition for Halo 1, but the fact that Halo (as a franchise) STILL remains an influential force in the industry is an achievement. God, its really not that hard a statement to get. Do I need pictures?

Aazealh said:
There being many titles doesn't mean it makes for good competition, see what we were talking about earlier, what with Halo 2 being still one of the most played games.

Again you assume that nobody was trying to achieve Halo-like success. But nope, Halo 2 being popular is only due to everyone else deliberately trying to set the bar lower, right?

Aazealh said:
And are you one of those guys saying there are only shooters on Xbox 360? :guts:

There are way too many goddamn shooters on the xbox 360. Why? Because they're all trying to tap into that market that plays mother-fucking HALO. You know? That game that has only skidded by due to nobody ever trying to compete with it?

Aazealh said:
Saying that the system's flagship franchise is influential is just stating an evidence that everybody agrees with, and that nobody could really argue against.

No saying that the game is influential is apparently so obvious it doesn't get to be relevant anymore, according to you. 6 years of influence on a console and genre is not an achievement, its an exaggeration. Please... :schierke:

Walter said:
I'll take that bet and raise you $5 for an Aaz victory.

haha. Unfortunately they've invented a whole new axis since Doom.

Jesus_praying.gif

Heavenly Father, please stop this madness.​

And to settle things, I will spank you ALL in Halo. FTW!

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
You're right. A competition like this needs a middle ground... How about when that Quake Zero project gets underway?

The save video function is pretty nifty in Halo 3. Its hard to really dispute the tape.

But unfortunately I don't think this particularly argument could be settled in a halo fight. Aaz's inevitable defeat (as far as I know there isn't a quote gun in Halo yet) would just fuel his assertions that Halo isn't relevant.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:
This man is in the military... Listen to what he has to say...

Walter, you owe me 15$ :ganishka:.
BS, all that's happened so far is one side yanking CnC's cock around in a homoerotic, preemptive victory dance. :void:

Walter said:
BS, all that's happened so far is one side yanking CnC's cock around in a homoerotic, preemptive victory dance. :void:

...I guess the show must go on, but for the record, I support our troops. :miura: :troll:

Anyway, it looks like the champ is pretty confident... that 15$ is as good as mine!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Moving on, Halo 3 netted over $170 million in its first 24 hours.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9785731-1.html

Doing the math, that's roughly 2.5 million copies sold @ $60 for regular editions with a slight variance for the other, more expensive editions.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Walter said:
Moving on,

Fine by me. This thread has taken a wierd turn.

Walter said:
Halo 3 netted over $170 million in its first 24 hours.

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9785731-1.html

Doing the math, that's roughly 2.5 million copies sold @ $60 for regular editions with a slight variance for the other, more expensive editions.

xbox live is seeing very heavy traffic. Just tonight there was close to 70,000 people playing online.

----
Heres a humorous story out of the UK. They did a report on Halo3 but used footage from killzone 2:
http://www.gamebrink.com/xbox-360/17985-halo-3-video-2917

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
And you're conceding because you would rather have a baseless argument than provide any substantial evidence.

I don't need to provide any evidence when it's obvious I'm right. You make funny claims, don't back them up, recognize it's bullshit rather than doing it, then tell me that I should prove it wrong while arguing that you were just innocently commenting on your memory sucking ass and not trying to make a point. What a joke, really.

CnC said:
I'm not the only one.

Oh my, a gamefaqs top ten list! You know you've reached a really low point in your life when you resort to that sort of stuff to support your point. Too bad this doesn't really have anything to do with the argument, nor proves your point or anything. Nice to see Goldeneye 007 in that old GameSpot top ten list though.

CnC said:
My point remains that your comment about there being no competition on the platform is wrong, and is still wrong.

I didn't say there was no competition on the platform. Again, you're putting words in my mouth to just conveniently assert your vague point. And I was talking about how the franchise originally established its fanbase as I've already told you (though I recognize I should have originally precised it). Have you been ignoring it for the sole purpose or arguing on the same thing again and again? Besides, you yourself went farther than me earlier by calling what I thought in all honesty was the biggest competition on the platform in recent years merely decent. I have trouble seeing the problem here to be frank. When Halo came out on Xbox it was tooted as its "killer app" by Microsoft and hyped to death. It was the Xbox' first success and the fan base it built up was maintained for years to come, only to grow even more with Halo 2's release and a multiplayer supporting the Xbox Live.

When Halo was released, I maintain that the FPS genre wasn't strong on consoles. I even remember everybody praising the fact that the game's controls worked better than anybody thought was possible for a console FPS at the time. In fact, for all intents and purposes I'd even say that it was the first really successful modern FPS on any console (RARE games on N64 being a precedent, but the multiplayer was very limited due to the lack of online play). You can say that many shooters were released on the console after that, but that wasn't my point and I'm not contesting it, although like I pointed out, not many directly and successfully rivaled with it.

CnC said:
Jesus, I'm having serious doubts about your ability to read here. Read my bloody post. In response to your response to Scorpio's review of it being a shinier new Halo, you claimed

Hahaha, now you're getting angry over trivial stuff man. That's why I shouldn't get in debates with fanboys I guess. :guts: Should you learn to read/write maybe? You say I claimed something in response to my own response? Don't think I've started replying to myself yet.

CnC said:
that it was a lack of competition in the FPS console market that makes it (Halo 3) a success.

Guess you really should learn to read, after all. I said there wouldn't be as much hype over the whole franchise (and presently, over Halo 3) if it wasn't the Xbox's flagship title and just a popular series on a multiplatform environment for example. I'm not even talking about the vague and subjective notion of "success", just the hype we've been seeing recently. You know, Halo 3 all over the Internet, people saying Halo 3 is the second coming of the Christ, the be-all end-all video game, godsent and never to be equalled again in the future? The sensationalist newspaper articles that have been reporting on it without even understanding half of what it's about? Because you have nothing to say you're trying to distort my words but unfortunately that's just not going to work. I didn't say Halo 3 wasn't a good game, or that the Halo franchise didn't deserve its success, and certainly not that it wasn't successful or God knows what else. I was just commenting on the hype it's receiving. Maybe that's why you don't get over the whole "quote" thing, because quotes make it hard for you to twist around what others say?

CnC said:
It may have been the case that there wasn't enough FPS competition for Halo 1, but the fact that Halo (as a franchise) STILL remains an influential force in the industry is an achievement.

So this is the second misunderstanding we're having here it seems. We've already addressed Halo: Combat Evolved's competition and apparently you agree with me in that regard, so let's concentrate on the achievement comment. Again, the notion of achievement is really subjective here and no matter what you say, it could be argued that it's a matter of opinion. Now, keep in mind that I didn't say the Halo series wasn't influential, nor even that it wasn't an "achievement" for it to be popular. I just said that I didn't think it was necessarily a bigger achievement to keep a very popular franchise popular than to release a new IP in a new market that met a great success like for example Gears of War. I always thought this was a widely understood notion so far, one that's been proved times and times again when popular franchises would sell regardless of the quality of the games (Japanese RPGs, Dynasty Warriors...) while some original IPs would be completely ignored (God of War sell very poorly till it went Platinum, Ôkami selling very poorly, period, etc). There are tons of similar examples.

In this regard and considering the development context and announcements, Halo 3 being a big success doesn't surprise me in the least and doesn't amaze me either (nor does it seem to surprise anybody), I can safely say that I saw it coming, just like I can tell that Super Mario Galaxy will sell well on the Wii. You are free to consider its continued popularity (or relevancy, whatever that's supposed to mean) as an incredible achievement in the face of adversity, going against all odds and hardly equalled in the industry, but don't try to pass it off as a straight fact and don't act like that changes anything to what I said about the hype it's receiving.

CnC said:
Again you assume that nobody was trying to achieve Halo-like success.

No, I don't assume that. Doesn't change anything to what I said anyway.

CnC said:
There are way too many goddamn shooters on the xbox 360. Why? Because they're all trying to tap into that market that plays mother-fucking HALO.

Hahaha, cussing already? And there's no hyphen in "motherfucking". Also, the proportion of FPS on Xbox 360 compared to the total number of games doesn't shock me, especially since a good amount is just PC games being made multiplatform. It's better to have too many games than not enough. Besides, third parties are trying to hop on the bandwagon like you say, but like in most cases when such a thing happens (whenever a game of a particular genre is successful) they fail at it for the most part.

CnC said:
That game that has only skidded by due to nobody ever trying to compete with it?

I never said that, so are you saying so?

CnC said:
6 years of influence on a console and genre is not an achievement, its an exaggeration.

Hahaha, but see, the problem is that it's not exactly what you said. You told me that this franchise being still relevant was an achievement, which given its extreme vagueness I took as meaning that Halo 3 being very expected/hyped and the name Halo being still powerful in the Xbox community was an achievement in and of itself. Considering the series' status, success and influence, I don't find mere relevance to be much of an achievement. There are certainly others things about this series that are more deserving of that label, like for example the popularization of the FPS genre and online multiplayer on consoles. All in all, that's exaggerating the merit of simple "relevance" to me (something you could use to quality many games) when you know how many people are fans of the franchise. Your comment felt like the Halo name in itself, the amount of fans of the first two titles and the huge hype built by Bungie and MS didn't weigh in the balance, which I think is exaggerating, yeah.

CnC said:
haha. Unfortunately they've invented a whole new axis since Doom.

Oh wow man, what a burn. :ganishka: This coming from a guy that was still trying to complete Red Alert when I was already circle jumping. XD You guys beat some 14 years old and think you're masters or something, I guess you need to believe you're good at one game at least... You know, I also liked Marathon back when FPS weren't cool enough for you, you can diss that too if you want.

pippin22 said:
This man is in the military... Listen to what he has to say...

Was in the military. He's being kicked out intentionally for health problems. Guess some people can't stand the heat. They like to talk like they're big, but once in the field they cower back home. I'm not surprised to you identifying with such a model.

CnC said:
The save video function is pretty nifty in Halo 3. Its hard to really dispute the tape.

This just in: you can record your games in Quake 3 too.

So, have fun continuing this argument when you could be playing the game. :guts:

Aazealh said:
Was in the military. He's being kicked out intentionally for health problems. Guess some people can't stand the heat. They like to talk like they're big, but once in the field they cower back home. I'm not surprised to you identifying with such a model.

Hah, I don't know Bob's life story. I'm just messing around. And I'll bet you wouldn't be surprised, since you know me so well.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Aazealh said:

My back got fucked up to the point i was losing feeling in my legs.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Oh wow, what a wonderfully long set of quote responses you've got there. You've really mastered the art of writing so much without saying anything at all. Really, what a waste of everyone's time.

I'll go ahead and simplify this so you don't get dizzy from all the circular logic you've been using thus far.

Either prove to me that Halo 3's hype/success/whatever is based ONLY it being a console title on a genre that's weak on those platforms, or (in the likely event that you can't) shut the fuck up.

Here's your original statement so you don't have to go back a page:
Aazealh said:
Yeah, that's what I heard too. I think it's safe to say the game only gets so much hype because it's a console title and that the FPS genre isn't strong on those platforms, but I'm sure it'll prove to be loads of fun for the fans regardless of these considerations. It should also give the X360 a welcome boost in sales. =)

Aazealh said:

That's low. Honestly I'm cool with stopping this here. If this is where you're going to take the argument about a video game you can have your victory.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
pippin22 said:
Hah, I don't know Bob's life story. I'm just messing around. And I'll bet you wouldn't be surprised, since you know me so well.

Oh I know, don't worry. Just going along with the hilarious, friendly discussion here.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
My back got fucked up to the point i was losing feeling in my legs.

Well you'll have plenty of time to play Halo 3 while it heals then.

CnC said:
Oh wow, what a wonderfully long set of quote responses you've got there. You've really mastered the art of writing so much without saying anything at all. Really, what a waste of everyone's time.

Same goes for you, and since you're the one that initiated it you can blame yourself for it if you want to. It's funny to see that in the end, when all else fails all you get to do is pull up the same old half-assed complaint about long posts or something. Brilliant.

CnC said:
Either prove to me that Halo 3's hype/success/whatever is based ONLY it being a console title on a genre that's weak on those platforms, or (in the likely event that you can't) shut the fuck up.

Who do you think you're talking to seriously? I'll shut up when I decide to. And still now you have to deform what I said for lack of something else to say. I mean you did quote my post right under it, was it so hard to actually read it? Such bad faith...

CnC said:
That's low. Honestly I'm cool with stopping this here. If this is where you're going to take the argument about a video game you can have your victory.

Keep your lousy moral judgments for yourself, especially if you're going to still try to argue while saying so. It's ridiculous.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
Who do you think you're talking to seriously? I'll shut up when I decide to. And still now you have to deform what I said for lack of something else to say. I mean you did quote my post right under it, was it so hard to actually read it? Such bad faith...

CnC said:
(in the likely event that you can't)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I'M RIGHT AND I GET TO HAVE THE LAST WORD.

CnC said:
Honestly I'm cool with stopping this here.

Are you really? You're wrong and can't prove anything you said and now you shut up because you can't!

CnC

Ad Oculos
You can dribble that ball with quotes all you want you're still not any closer to the net.
CnC said:
Either prove to me that Halo 3's hype/success/whatever is based ONLY it being a console title on a genre that's weak on those platforms, or (in the likely event that you can't) shut the *bleep* up.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
Honestly I'm cool with stopping this here.

Well obviously that doesn't seem to be the case! Also I'm right as it was already proven and you can't prove I'm not or even argue against that fact, but it seems you must have the last word, a well-known forum ailment. So I'll let you have it and show to everybody that not only you chose to disregard what I said in a puerile fashion ("meet these arbitrary standards and prove something you didn't say or else!") because of your inability to reply to it, but that you're also unable to keep your word even while you were feigning outrage mere moments before.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Aazealh said:
but it seems you must have the last word, a well-known forum ailment.

speak for yourself. You still haven't
CnC said:
Either prove to me that Halo 3's hype/success/whatever is based ONLY it being a console title on a genre that's weak on those platforms, or (in the likely event that you can't) shut the doooooby up.
...but you have done an admirable job avoiding it.

Top Bottom