Halo 3

CnC

Ad Oculos
Just beat the campaign. I'm not sure why people are so down on the graphics. It really looks great, imo.

So wait... master chief is a forerunner? Their offspring? what? Hows that?

Also, what does Cortana say at the end, "Its been an honor to serve you, ____?" It wasn't his real name, was it?

Not the best story, overall. But I suppose it works.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Hey what happend to my post? :isidro: :???: :judo: Anyways I just had a very good game, Ill be posting it on my fileshare........so watch it!!! Its called God-Like.

Aazealh said:
I don't need to provide any evidence when it's obvious I'm right. You make funny claims Phoenix Wrong!, don't back them up, recognize it's bullshit rather than doing it, as that would require you actually sitting over a toilet versus applying your fingers to that keyboard, and then tell me that I should prove it wrong while arguing against the fact that you are the greatest man to ever live and my thoughts are torpid with repose in the wake of your actual superiority. You are actually god and I the deciple, why can't you just accept this now? Seriously, shut the fuck up.
OBJECTION!
Well I've proven my argument in these certifiably sound links bel..

Oh..
Wait...
What?

From all these long walls of textual arguments...
Wait...
WHAT HAS HAPPENED?
WE AREN'T ARGUING ABOUT SOMETHING?

God what have you DONE? DO YOU EVEN REALIZE IT? FOR FUCK SAKES MAN!
No, just no. This shatters our beautiful friendship and you know it.

On topic, got the game on launch at the midnight window. Waited in line with 10 people. Excuse me,
behind ten people. I got there at 11:55 and walked out at 12:05. That night. Ah, country life.

Only reason I went truth be told is I never had been so feverishly insane/caring about any title/game/movie/console to wait more than the needed time in line to get it when I felt like it, so I felt obligated to at LEAST be at the next "midnight launch madness" of the next biggest thing, which just so happened to be Halo 3.

In all sincerity, I am one of the people who typically would shrug my shoulders about the series (feeling at best a "decent" sensation over the other two) but I threw caution into the wind.

I'm still working on the campaign, only on mission 2 with heroic (work, life, prostitution, you know how it works). I'm still heavily mixed. My connection is the greatness of satelitte and thus absolutely terrible for gaming, why I have yet to try "internet" multiplayer. The campaign is somewhat enjoyable so far, and multi is just about as fun as any "good-great" console FPS. Story, eh I read the first line of CnC's spoilers by mistake ( :carcus: ) but its certainly the more engaging of the three.

Finally graphics. I agree with CnC that people are hitting a little too hard on it. Yeah, they don't really shine over any of the recent competition, but I also like to think Bungie spent more time developing their own engine/source and less of blending already created engines.

Speaking of which, Id's new engine is very...nice...mmmmmmmmmmmm...

Oh back on topic, all in all I like what I see/play so far, and I wasn't one who cared for "Halo" hype.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Phoenix Wrong! said:
Story, eh I read the first line of CnC's spoilers by mistake ( :carcus: ) but its certainly the more engaging of the three.

Well I'm not sure if it's even a spoiler because its not treated like some big reveal. I was just trying to clarify with someone who knows the series better, as it's mentioned and I don't remember that being covered before. But I thought better to be safe and cover it with spoiler tags.

CnC said:
Well I'm not sure if it's even a spoiler because its not treated like some big reveal. I was just trying to clarify with someone who knows the series better, as it's mentioned and I don't remember that being covered before. But I thought better to be safe and cover it with spoiler tags.
Yeah thus the carcus, it wasn't a "spoiler" per say so no harm done. But since you have beaten the campaign is the ending nice?

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Phoenix Wrong! said:
Finally graphics. I agree with CnC that people are hitting a little too hard on it. Yeah, they don't really shine over any of the recent competition, but I also like to think Bungie spent more time developing their own engine/source and less of blending already created engines.

So, in addition to their results not being the best, their methods were also less efficient? =)

I think the millions rolling in is the only "feel good" award they need, I know I wouldn't care what anybody said as long as the cash registers were talking.

Also, this thread shows why I stopped playing FPS games with any sort of regularity; just mentioning this devil turns brother against brother and civilized men into BEASTS! :chomp:

Griffith No More! said:
So, in addition to their results not being the best, their methods were also less efficient?
I don't really think so. Again, it looks great. Just not superb when compared to other "high caliber" titles that tend to use other third party engines or focus more on concept+single player. Looking at the "making of", the hundreds of Bungie's hardware warehouse of a dev room staff seemed more prone on testing the game/multiplayer than focusing on engine building, and again imo it was a fair "trade in" so far.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
While the graphics aren't the best, it should be noted that the game always stays fluid and at 30 fps, which is not something many games of that genre achieve. I think that's what Bungie went for. Anyway, any confirmation that Bungie will become a third party studio again? I read that yesterday and found it a little hard to believe.

CnC

Ad Oculos
Theres usually a lot going on during the campaign, it's not irregular to find yourself in a very large area with a bunch of different battle's going on. I'm sure that drained processing power away from the graphics.

Griffith No More! said:
Also, this thread shows why I stopped playing FPS games with any sort of regularity; just mentioning this devil turns brother against brother and civilized men into BEASTS! :chomp:

pssshh. Just another "nerdtacular" (your words) argument. I don't think either me or Aaz hold Halo in such high regard that we'd let the wounds inflicted fester. I still need someone to crit my shitty colors.

Aazealh said:
Anyway, any confirmation that Bungie will become a third party studio again? I read that yesterday and found it a little hard to believe.

no it's still rumor at this point. I also find it a bit hard to believe considering MS owns 100% of that company. Perhaps a lot of the key players could leave and form there own studio but "Bungie" and "Halo" are owned by MS.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CnC said:
pssshh. Just another "nerdtacular" (your words) argument. I don't think either me or Aaz hold Halo in such high regard that we'd let the wounds inflicted fester. I still need someone to crit my shitty colors.

Aww, don't call your colors shitty. :casca: Truth is, we ought to bring some life to this board one way or another. Stupid arguments are one such way. :troll:

CnC said:
no it's still rumor at this point. I also find it a bit hard to believe considering MS owns 100% of that company. Perhaps a lot of the key players could leave and form there own studio but "Bungie" and "Halo" are owned by MS.

Yeah, it does seem a little perplexing, though to be precise they're just talking of Bungie separating itself from Microsoft for now, the Halo license would stay with MS. The most serious source so far: http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200710/N07.1002.1438.22348.htm

CnC said:
Just beat the campaign. I'm not sure why people are so down on the graphics. It really looks great, imo.

So wait... master chief is a forerunner? Their offspring? what? Hows that?

Also, what does Cortana say at the end, "Its been an honor to serve you, ____?" It wasn't his real name, was it?

Not the best story, overall. But I suppose it works.

Just to answer your first question, it basically means that humans are forerunner

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:

Gotta say, while I don't agree with all of that, it was fuckin' hilarious. Great find, Uriel. And yea, even after beating the game and taking the solid multiplayer into account, I still think Bioshock was better (or at least more engrossing).

yota821 said:
Just to answer your first question, it basically means that humans are forerunner

ohhh.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
CnC said:
Gotta say, while I don't agree with all of that, it was fuckin' hilarious. Great find, Uriel... I still think Bioshock was better (or at least more engrossing).

Yeah, the chaps brilliant.

He also has something to say about Bioshock too, unless you've seen it already :p

CnC

Ad Oculos
Uriel said:
Yeah, the chaps brilliant.

He also has something to say about Bioshock too, unless you've seen it already :p

yup... I went through a bunch of them. And I'll tune in every wednesday for the new ones. Good stuff.
I agree with what he said about Bioshock and System Shock 2, but since its been so long and I don't think I played much system shock 2 (forgot why) it was all new to me.

CnC said:
yup... I went through a bunch of them. And I'll tune in every wednesday for the new ones. Good stuff.
I agree with what he said about Bioshock and System Shock 2, but since its been so long and I don't think I played much system shock 2 (forgot why) it was all new to me.
Funny guy, although minus his abilitiestostreamwordstogetherwithouttakingtoomuch breath andaddingfunnyimages makes him pretty much the average forum/SA/4chan intellectual FPS'er and apparentlylikestotalkabouthypeandoverappraisalthelike yet stillhasalotofbeatlesplayingargueblyanotherexampleofsomethingthatdoesnt live uptohypeorfanpraise whencompairedtothosewhoaremoreknowledgeable on the subject.

And psychonauts was alright.

Oh, subject wise. Vehicles. Has anybody had any use of the mongoose? I'm hoping there's some tactical element I'm missing but the only thing I can grasp is point A-Point B...when absolutely no one knows you're driving one.

Aazealh said:
I like that guy too, though I've yet to listen to his undoubtedly heinous comments on RE5's trailer (apparently in the Heavenly Sword video).

Anyway, I stumbled upon that this morning and found it pretty funny: http://www.godmodeonline.com/d/20070924.html
People were posting it across forums/4chan last week and I got a good chuckle at it which shocked me greatly (no offense to GodMode lovers?). Well, I guess we get a sigh of relief that 3D realms+Bungie didn't do a secret colab with M. Night?..

CnC

Ad Oculos
Taking that escapist magazine guy's astute observations to heart and the more and more I play it, I'd say Halo really was meant to be played with other people (pretty much at all times). When playing the campaign by yourself things like the fairly bland level design, story, etc. become very noticeable. Almost every level you're guaranteed that an objective will have you backtracking the way you came. The level of immersion in the single player parts is no where near that of games like Bioshock. Things like that, however, really disappear when done over co-op.

So if you're looking for a great single player experience, look elsewhere. Halo isn't that, but it is a great multiplayer experience.

Phoenix Wrong! said:
People were posting it across forums/4chan last week and I got a good chuckle at it which shocked me greatly (no offense to GodMode lovers?). Well, I guess we get a sigh of relief that 3D realms+Bungie didn't do a secret colab with M. Night?..

3d Realms would have had everything to gain and Bungie would have had everything to lose. But I would have admired their balls in doing it.
Good find, Aaz.

berserker88

The Raging Demon
Ah Im sorry to hear you didnt like the single player, to each of his own I suppose. Better start seeing your ass on multiplayer more often though.

I personally "like" the single player, and I don't think CnC completely hated it (correct me if I'm wrong etc) as opposed to (like me) just getting a lukewarm "eh, I've played better" feeling out of it. The multiplayer though is obviously the franchise's strong point. Of course the hombre from the Escapist' point is something everybody's known for years, the single player is still there only to keep it from "excluding" the single player "base" entirely. Of course, Bungie will never say to the contrast (even though their "making of" feature is 75% focused on multiplayer and fixing bugs with the game itself, go figure)
CnC said:
3d Realms would have had everything to gain and Bungie would have had everything to lose. But I would have admired their balls in doing it.
I'm a Max Payne fag, so once they said 3 was pretty much in the can-o-trash I gave up hope.
I think more than anything M. Night would have had something to gain, he hasn't had much of a media meter since his last disaster outside of robot chicken.

Top Bottom